Aug 21, 2016
My budget is ~600 USD

CPU- Ryzen 5 1600. $85
MOB- ASrock 450b mATX. $70
RAM- Corsair Veng. 2x8GB. $65
SSD- WesternDigital 500gb $65
PSU- 500w. $50
Case- thermaltake versa h15 $50

I want to game at ultra on a 2560x1080p monitor and get 60-75fps on games like Tarkov, PUBG, Baldurs Gate, stellaris... Not every game I play is demanding, but some like escape from Tarkov require high rendering quality and fast frames to play competitive. And I’d like to be able to play the new games if I want to.

Im looking at RX 580(8gb), GTX 1650 SUPER(4gb), GTX 1660(6gb). I don’t like that the Radeon runs very hot. I’m going to invest in a 2560x1080 freesync monitor and I want to know if the Nvidia cards can utilize the freesync feature. And is the 4gb card not enough vram for UWFHD Ultra-wide full high def. should I buy a used 1660 from amazon?

Also if you have any suggestions for my build I’d highly appreciate that.

Solution
The 1650 super is probably not worth it if you want to play on an ultra-wide monitor. I would recommend getting at least a 1660 but I think your best option is either the 580 or 590.
The 1650 SUPER tends to actually be slightly faster than an RX 580 on average in current games, though that can vary from one title to the next. They are limited to 4GB of VRAM though, whereas the RX 580 offers many models with 8GB at a similar price, which might potentially have more of an impact in the future, even if it tends to be adequate today.

Also, an Nvidia graphics card only works on G-Sync monitors for freesync features.
That's actually not true. NVidia added FreeSync support to their 10, 16 and 20-series cards early last year...

jitteRs

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
The 1650 super is probably not worth it if you want to play on an ultra-wide monitor. I would recommend getting at least a 1660 but I think your best option is either the 580 or 590. I think it would be better to get a new AMD card rather than a used 1660 too. I hate AMD's software and they can get hot but they are the best bang for your buck. You might be better off saving up for a 1660 ti if you have the patience and want a good Nvidia graphics card. Also, an Nvidia graphics card only works on G-Sync monitors for freesync features. Therefore, you might be again better off with AMD graphics cards like the 580 or 590 if you want to utilize the freesync feature instead of buying a new monitor.

The 1650 super is probably not worth it if you want to play on an ultra-wide monitor. I would recommend getting at least a 1660 but I think your best option is either the 580 or 590.
The 1650 SUPER tends to actually be slightly faster than an RX 580 on average in current games, though that can vary from one title to the next. They are limited to 4GB of VRAM though, whereas the RX 580 offers many models with 8GB at a similar price, which might potentially have more of an impact in the future, even if it tends to be adequate today.

Also, an Nvidia graphics card only works on G-Sync monitors for freesync features.
That's actually not true. NVidia added FreeSync support to their 10, 16 and 20-series cards early last year. They refer to it as "G-Sync Compatible" though. They certify some models of FreeSync displays as being "G-Sync Compatible", but most FreeSync screens, even if not certified, will allow adaptive sync to be manually enabled in the driver settings, provided the monitor supports the feature over a DisplayPort connection.

What is the exact model number of your monitor?

At a resolution somewhat higher than regular 1920x1080, you probably want all the graphics performance you can get around this price range for running games at ultra graphics settings. A 1660 can be close to 15% faster than an RX 580 on average, and a 1660 SUPER close to 30% faster, so those might be worth looking at. The Ti is a little bit faster than the SUPER, but not enough so to be worth paying significantly extra for.

Have you checked pricing for new models of those cards at a site like PCPartPicker, if it covers your region? Here's pricing for the 1660, 1660 SUPER and 1660 Ti, though you may need to select your region from the box in the upper right of the page to get relevant prices...

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=439,450,438&sort=price

Last edited:
Solution

jitteRs

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019

That's actually not true. NVidia added FreeSync support to their 10, 16 and 20-series cards early last year. They refer to it as "G-Sync Compatible" though. They certify some models of FreeSync displays as being "G-Sync Compatible", but most FreeSync screens, even if not certified, will allow adaptive sync to be manually enabled in the driver settings, provided the monitor supports the feature over a DisplayPort connection.

What is the exact model number of your monitor?

At a resolution somewhat higher than regular 1920x1080, you probably want all the graphics performance you can get around this price range for running games at ultra graphics settings. A 1660 can be close to 15% faster than an RX 580 on average, and a 1660 SUPER close to 30% faster, so those might be worth looking at. The Ti is a little bit faster than the SUPER, but not enough so to be worth paying significantly extra for.

Have you checked pricing for new models of those cards at a site like PCPartPicker, if it covers your region? Here's pricing for the 1660, 1660 SUPER and 1660 Ti, though you may need to select your region from the box in the upper right of the page to get relevant prices...

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=439,450,438&sort=price
Sorry about that, I thought Nvidia cards could have freesync on AMD monitors but I wasn't 100% sure.

WildCard999

Titan
As a owner of a LG 2560x1080P/75hz/Freesync monitor you need at least a 1660 Super for Ultra settings while maintaining a higher FPS. This also means you need your memory to be at 3000 or 3200mhz and you may want to consider overclocking that 1600 (AF?). As for Freesync it should work with a newer Nvidia GPU as long as you download the newest drivers and use a DisplayPort cable.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-run-gsync-on-freesync-monitor,6072.html

I know for a fact these 3 monitors support Freesync/Gsync.

4745454b

Titan
I wouldn't worry about the heat of the 580. If going freesync then the 580 is "best". If going used on the 1660 most would pass on that. Here is our sister site review of the 1650 Super.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15090/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-super-review/6

You are really looking at trading blows depending on the game. I think more often than not the 1650S has the slightly better lead. As you noted however it has 4GBs less ram. I'd probably buy the cheaper one, though due to freesync I lean towards the 580.

TRENDING THREADS