[SOLVED] Which GPU for i3770 in 2020?

Apr 1, 2020
Looking for a decent card for 1080p.
For most cards the intel i3770 is under than the minimal required CPU.
Is there a modern card which still “Officially” supports the i3770 ?
Could I install a new card which doesn’t officially support this CPU and still play most modern games?

Thanks!

Solution
CPUs don't 'support' GPUs. You could pair the weakest modern CPU (provided the board has a PCIe slot and no BIOS lockdown) with the highest end GPU. Not a smart idea by any stretch, but it there's not real 'support' question.

Really, it's going to depend on specific games, in-game settings, resolution & refresh rates.

At 1080p, the highest I'd consider pairing with a 3770 would be a 2060/2060Super.
In some instances, the CPU will hold the card back but, for the most part, they should pair well enough.
A 1660Super is probably a more budget friendly, smarter pairing though.

As you scale up in resolution, the CPU matters less. For 4K, for example, you'd probably be fine (99% of the time) pairing a 3770 with a 2080TI.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
CPUs don't 'support' GPUs. You could pair the weakest modern CPU (provided the board has a PCIe slot and no BIOS lockdown) with the highest end GPU. Not a smart idea by any stretch, but it there's not real 'support' question.

Really, it's going to depend on specific games, in-game settings, resolution & refresh rates.

At 1080p, the highest I'd consider pairing with a 3770 would be a 2060/2060Super.
In some instances, the CPU will hold the card back but, for the most part, they should pair well enough.
A 1660Super is probably a more budget friendly, smarter pairing though.

As you scale up in resolution, the CPU matters less. For 4K, for example, you'd probably be fine (99% of the time) pairing a 3770 with a 2080TI.

Reactions: Rick Deckard 99
Solution

jwcrellin

Reputable
I'd say 1660ti at the low end. I wouldn't go any higher than 2060 super because you'll end up bottlenecking. AKA the older cpu frequency doesn't boost high enough for awesome fps in games.

Don't get me wrong tho. 3770 and 1660ti will get you over 60 htz 90% of the time if you tweak quality settings for each game.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I meant moreso regarding OEM boards, where the ability to use newer GPUs can be problematic.
On a consumer board, like the one linked, you should be fine.

"AMD or Nvidia" is an age-old debate. Depends on the specific cards you're looking at.

The 1660Super is a solid option, and would pair well.

Apr 1, 2020
I meant moreso regarding OEM boards, where the ability to use newer GPUs can be problematic.
On a consumer board, like the one linked, you should be fine.

"AMD or Nvidia" is an age-old debate. Depends on the specific cards you're looking at.

The 1660Super is a solid option, and would pair well.
Cool thanks!