[SOLVED] Which GPU is the better deal out of the six I've listed ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Avanis

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Hello, since GPU prices are all over the place, I need some help choosing which GPU to buy for a new PC

The PC is going to be used for heavy 1080p gaming (mostly the current games, such as GTA V, COD Warzone and newer games, photoshop, and video editing.
Not looking to get into 1440p anytime soon.

Gonna pair the GPU with a:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
16GB RAM 2X8

Here are the prices;

1. ASUS GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER ROG Strix Gaming 6GB GDDR6 - $540
  2. ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 DUAL EVO OC edition 6GB GDDR6 - $670
  3. GIGABYTE Radeon RX 6600 XT GAMING OC 8G - $795
  4. ASUS DUAL GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 (2 fans)- $795
  5. ASUS Radeon RX 5600 XT TUF GAMING OC Edition 6GB GDDR6 - $795
  6. AORUS GeForce RTX 3060 ELITE 12G - $890
There are other GPUs too but you don't wanna read a 50 GPU list, I didn't buy anything yet so I'm open to suggestions, thank you!

Solution
At 1080p, you'll be mostly cpu bound. Fps is a function of the cpu afterall. If the cpu can only handle 100fps in a game and you can get 100fps at ultra settings with a 2060, you'll get the same 100fps with a 3090.

The difference is when you can only get 80fps with a 1660 or the full 100fps with a 2060. And that's going to be All on the actual game. In CSGO or Rainbow 6, you'll be well above a 144Hz refresh with fps, so the actual gpu really won't matter, but playing Cyberpunk 2077, it's graphically demanding enough that having a 2060 will be a benefit over a 1660, and a 3070 will be a benefit over a 2060, allowing the gpu to catch up to what the cpu is putting out.

So your choice of gpus will entirely depend on 3 things...

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Im astonished at your arrogance
edit: I agree with most of what you are saying but you are really shutting down my opinion with a very loose analogy and I feel like you are just attacking my opinion rather than discussing it. But yeah we could go on forever about the risks and benefits of used shopping and all sorts of details but it really just depends on personal experiences. So I guess I shouldn't say arrogant and realize you are just expressing the other pov of what im talking about.

Last edited:

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Regardless of his naiveite on used products, your comparison of the opportunity cost of buying a used graphics card to car engines was poor at best, false analogy at worst. If you do not put new oil in an engine it will fail, but as you stated it, there was a possibility that it will not fail thus saving you money as compared to the subjective risk of purchasing a used graphics card. A used card the vast, vast majority of the time will either be dead, work fine, or, in the minority, be somewhere in-between.

Just to be clear, I agree with the majority of your points about buying used cards on ebay, or otherwise.
I'm not naive I've bought many used components including GPUs and have yet to be scammed or have a part malfunction shortly after. But thank you for agreeing with me on his analogy choice

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's not arrogance. It's experience. The issue with used gpus is Not the chances of getting scammed, is Not the chances of them being DOA or otherwise broken. It's the time period before they break. You are putting faith in a used item with unknown usage, unknown history and frankly nobody tells the truth. Not if they want to sell the card. Nobody will list a RTX2080ti and claim its been used for heavy mining, overclocked, 24hrs a day for the last almost 3 years. They'll say it's been used stock for light gaming and some powerpoint or photoshop work, in a clean and relatively dust free environment and works perfectly.

And who are you to say differently? You have no proof of use or history. Yet that card does work perfectly, for the next 3 months and then dies, the heavy electromigration in the gpu, the VRM finally giving up the ghost, vram saying it's had enough. And you just spent $1k+ on that card.

You are buying a car whose seller claims he religiously changed the synthetic oil every 3-5k miles, but in reality used conventional oil and changed it every 15-20k miles. Kiss the connecting rod bearings goodbye, quick-smart and in a hurry, even if the motor appears to be healthy when you sign the title papers.

Think about it. Who in their right mind in this gpu market is selling high end cards. Not very many. If they were lucky enough to get a good RTX3, their old RTX2 would be wanted by half a dozen of their friends, who are still puttering around on 9 or 10 series cards. Very few are honest upgrades, most will be miners dropping their oldest cards while they are still usable and worth anything. Many will be gamers who heavily and illadvisedly overclocked incorrectly and the card doesn't like it anymore, only works at stock settings now.

Those cards might still be ok, the question being just how long before they aren't. And there's nothing you can do to get recourse or money back when they do go.

Last edited:

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
I'm not naive I've bought many used components including GPUs and have yet to be scammed or have a part malfunction shortly after
It's not arrogance. It's experience. The issue with used gpus is Not the chances of getting scammed, is Not the chances of them being DOA or otherwise broken. It's the time period before they break. You are putting faith in a used item with unknown usage, unknown history and frankly nobody tells the truth. Not if they want to sell the card. Nobody will list a RTX2080ti and claim its been used for heavy mining, overclocked, 24hrs a day for the last almost 3 years. They'll say it's been used stock for light gaming and some powerpoint or photoshop work, in a clean and relatively dust free environment and works perfectly.

And who are you to say differently? You have no proof of use or history. Yet that card does work perfectly, for the next 3 months and then dies, the heavy electromigration in the gpu, the VRM finally giving up the ghost, vram saying it's had enough. And you just spent $2k on that card.

You are buying a car whose seller claims he religiously changed the synthetic oil every 3-5k miles, but in reality used conventional oil and changed it every 15-20k miles. Kiss the connecting rod bearings goodbye, quick-smart and in a hurry, even if the motor appears to be healthy when you sign the title papers.
I completely agree but I guess Ive just been lucky in my experiences. Ive bought a 2060, a 1650 and a rx 460 and all have been running well for around a year

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I completely agree but I guess Ive just been lucky in my experiences. Ive bought a 2060, a 1650 and a rx 460 and all have been running well for around a year
I had a busted watch once, it was right at least twice a day. There will be the lucky, the ones who are just fine for a year or more, maybe even a good percent of the buyers are ok or better, it happens.

If you look at Seasonic failure rates, it's around 0.1%. That sounds absolutely fantastic, it's a miniscule amount. Tiny even. Until you figure Seasonic manufactures around 10 Million psus a year. That's 10k failures, that actually get reported/RMA'd. What are the chances of you buying 1 of those 10k. Pretty large in comparison since the chain store bought 100k units and there's 50 Seasonic units in your particular store. Chances just 5 of those 50 are bad? Much bigger than the 0.1%. Not factual numbers btw, other than the failure rate.

Just saying, you might have been one of the 9.99Million buyers, but 10 Thousand ppl aren't so lucky and that's a pretty substantial number. Especially when the deck is stacked against you from the start.

Reactions: jacob249358
I completely agree but I guess Ive just been lucky in my experiences.
And that's been my entire point all along, and what I've been trying to relate to you and the OP, for the sake of avoiding such a situation.

Yours is a sample of ONE person. And you've been lucky, as far as WE know, with the purchase of three used cards. Now, we don't know how hard you game or whether you playing graphically demanding games, or ANYTHING that YOU do on your machine, so we can't say it's because you haven't pushed those cards enough for any flaws to come to light, but what we can say is that you are still only a sample of one who has purchased three cards.

I know, personally, of at least 150 people, myself, from this forum alone, who've come here at some point or another after purchasing used cards on Ebay, because the card has failed or developed problems and only a few of those were from sellers who had said up front that there might be something wrong with the card. The vast majority were sold as "works perfect" and yet, either didn't, or didn't for very long. And then the other side of it is the very well known fact that a lot of "new" cards being sold on Ebay are either stolen (As in, truckloads of them, boxes of them disappearing off of docks or whole trucks going missing. Also, train cars pilfered.) or being sold by scalpers and supporting either of those things is not something we want to do. It just makes the actual market all that much worse.

Additionally, graphics cards are OFTEN much like motherboards. Even if they have been relatively well taken care of and not ridden hard, at about five years the majority of them begin having problems. If they've been ridden hard, in whatever manner, it might be somewhat sooner. Obviously this doesn't apply to EVERY card or motherboard out there, but the timeline is right based on what we OFTEN see.

Reactions: jacob249358
You can do so behind the scenes if you simply PM each other, OR, you can list any component for sale in our classified section so long as you follow the requirements for listing that are outlined in the sticky at the top of the classifieds section.

That aside, let's rest this thread until we hear back from the OP. Last thing we ever want is to chase the OP away with off the rail discussion or arguments.