[SOLVED] Which GPU to get to replace my GTX 1080 Ti -- an RTX 2080 Ti or RTX 3070 ?

ccoo84

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
So I'm about to get my tax return & I want to upgrade my card should I buy the 2080ti or go to the new gen 3070?
Please let me know why I should besides just the card if you can.

Where I am living right now the 2080ti is about $100 cheaper or so & the 3080 is out of my price range..
Also the 2080ti has more Ram ddr5 vs the dd6 of the 3070..

I can't make up my mind.
Thank you.

Solution
It looks like the 2080ti is slightly faster especially at the critical 1% low...future driver updates may level that out or even give a slight advantage to the 3070 only time will tell but right now the 2080ti is better at 4k.

Of course your CPU, ram, and storage devices will all play a part too...on a mid level CPU there may be no difference at all.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WWjDB_a_H8
It looks like the 2080ti is slightly faster especially at the critical 1% low...future driver updates may level that out or even give a slight advantage to the 3070 only time will tell but right now the 2080ti is better at 4k.

Of course your CPU, ram, and storage devices will all play a part too...on a mid level CPU there may be no difference at all.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WWjDB_a_H8

Reactions: ccoo84
Solution
I would keep waiting, because not only can most people not get an RTX 30 series card already, but there is the possibility Nvidia will be releasing a refresh of the RTX 30 series with 50-100% more vram per card and a slight performance boost in the next 2-3 months to the end of the year.

Reactions: ccoo84
As a general rule, I would buy the latest gen product.
Today, graphics cards prices have been inflated because of short supply and mining demand.
If you can find a 3070 at a reasonable price, I would pick that option.

On vram, the amount included in a card will be appropriate to the performance of that card.
How vram is used will differ among cards and the needed drivers.
If you are into modding games, you do run the risk of a non optimal implementation and may require much more vram. Only then would I use the amount of vram as a selection criteria.