Which Intel CPUs Support XP Mode Virtualization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackthorne

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
oddly enough it actually wasn't too hard finding this information as I already looked it up after hearing you needed this tech for xp mode. see link above.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
AMD has virtualization built into all 65nm and 45nm processors. That's why it's not really needed to post an AMD list as all recent AMD processors support AMD-V.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Dax Corrin[/nom]What other BIOS options would we need to look for, IE I have an XFX 780i SLI board, and a compatible VT enabled E8400.[/citation]

I believe there's a bios option called "Disable C1E" or "Disable Vanderpool Technology". Alternatively, just fire up CPU-Z and check to see whether VT is already enabled.

G

Since the whole idea is to ensure more compatibility, MS should be able to make virtual XP mode work without the VT support at CPU level if CPU fast enough and lots of RAM. I successfully ran Virtual PC on same PC that runs Windows 7 only to find out that the CPU does not qualify since no VT (Desktop CoreDuo 945, laptop has 5800) Both PCs have 4 GB ram.

G

So, in other words, if "XP mode" was primarily aimed at helping enterprises easily migrate to Win7 from XP, then the whole "XP mode" was a massive, combined epic fail from Microsoft and Intel? SRSLY, that just fuxxed up any chance of a quick and easy Win7 UAT certification from any large enterprise...

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]AMD has virtualization built into all 65nm and 45nm processors. That's why it's not really needed to post an AMD list as all recent AMD processors support AMD-V.[/citation]
Another senseless act on Intel's part to even diasable a feature such as this. Seems like it would be easier to make things a little more uniform. Oh well, I have an E8400 so i'm covered anyway.

Yes to the above poster about Virtualization Technology and it being a BIOS option. If I recall though, it should be enabled by default.

shovel

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
What's all the fuss, we're talking productivity apps right - not games so speed isn't a killer?

To those of you without a VT enbled CPU, why not just use Virtualbox, it doesn't need a VT enabled CPU.

I'm using it quite successfully on an E2180 CPU & even a 2.4GHz P4...

Admitedly you have to install it & the XP OS, but the end result works fine... I mean surely we're talking about old apps that aren't supported any more...

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
amazing both laptops and my wifes desktop all with core 2s don't support vt... only my i7 does. So xp mode doesn't work at all without vt? Thats ridiculous all that time and money they put into this isn't going to work on 90 percent of business computers anyways.

G

If only lenovo didn't hardcode the bios to turn VT off on my T5600.

Status
Not open for further replies.