[SOLVED] which is the better option please help

shacker chacker

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017
so I want to upgrade my laptop and I don't have an m.2 or a PCIe port so for upgrading my laptop storage i can either buy the crucial mx500 m.2 SSD and use an m.2 to SATA converter with it or use the mx500 2.5 SSD both of which says that they 6.0 Gbps SATA but what I am confused with is that isn't m.2 faster so if I use the m.2 with the converter will my laptop be faster? or will the use of the converter slow down the SSD and give worse performance.

HERE is the link to the 2.5 ssd https://www.amazon.in/Crucial-MX500...b+crucial+ssd&qid=1553082897&s=gateway&sr=8-1

and here is the link to the m.2 ssd https://www.amazon.in/Crucial-MX500...b+crucial+ssd&qid=1553082897&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Solution
got it thanks for the help kanewolf but can you answer my another question please that is if i plug in the same m.2 mx500 in a m.2 port will it be faster than the 2.5 mx500 plugged in the 2.5 port
Especially since we are talking about a laptop, connectivity is very limited. The hard drive SATA port is part of the motherboard and not cables like a typical desktop. An M.2 connector is physically different than the standard SATA connector. A SATA M.2 disk would require an adapter to connect to a laptop SATA port.
But a SATA M.2 will have the same performance as a 2.5 inch SATA SSD.

kanewolf

Titan
An M.2 NVMe is faster. An M.2 SATA is the same as a 2.5 inch SATA.

M.2 is just the physical packaging. Two different interface standards are used. SATA or PCIe NVMe. Since you don't have a PCIe NVMe port, you should just get the 2.5 inch MX500.

shacker chacker

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017
got it thanks for the help kanewolf but can you answer my another question please that is if i plug in the same m.2 mx500 in a m.2 port will it be faster than the 2.5 mx500 plugged in the 2.5 port

kanewolf

Titan
Especially since we are talking about a laptop, connectivity is very limited. The hard drive SATA port is part of the motherboard and not cables like a typical desktop. An M.2 connector is physically different than the standard SATA connector. A SATA M.2 disk would require an adapter to connect to a laptop SATA port.
But a SATA M.2 will have the same performance as a 2.5 inch SATA SSD.

Solution