Question Which Laptop to Buy for University?

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
What is your budget?
600€-1200€

What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14" or 15.6"

What screen resolution do you want?

1920x1080

Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable - going to move around the campus a lot, so the lighter the better.

How much battery life do you need?

The more the better - just in case for long school days.

Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

No games, but maybe some 3D animation/modeling (this feature/part is the least important).

What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Mainly coding, programming and running VMs. So 16Gb of RAM would be appreciated.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
512Gb. Maybe 256Gb if you really want to squeeze thing.

If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Here are the recommended stores in my region:
https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/etusivu
https://www.gigantti.fi/
https://www.jimms.fi/

How long do you want to keep your laptop?
As long as I can. But let's just say 4 years would be nice.

What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

No need for optical drives.

Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Heard a lot of good thing about the lenovo ThinkPads. Acer is good too.

What country do you live in?

Finland

Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Preferred OS is Windows 10 Pro. Also would be nice to have a RJ45 port.

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
Something I never understand, just a logo it's not like it's Huawei.
I don't know.. I guess I'm not really used to the OS and just how overpriced their products tend to be because they are Apple, so they can slam any price tag they want. Also I'm pretty sure whichever laptop I get I will install Linux on it.

I don't know.. I guess I'm not really used to the OS and just how overpriced their products tend to be because they are Apple, so they can slam any price tag they want. Also I'm pretty sure whichever laptop I get I will install Linux on it.
You can code Linux on MacOS and they’re not overpriced hardwares wise they’re about the same cost you just pay a little bit more for MacOS.

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
Think it’s an i5 but I would go for the 13” Pro which is a quad core . Remember you’re paying extra for the OS and stuff like the trackpad not just the internal spec

The quad core i5 costs 1500€ pretty pricey for the extra stuff you mentioned that I don't even really care about. Why not go with the Lenovo ThinkPad E14 (10th gen i7, 16Gb ram, 512 GB, dedicated GPU) for 1200€? How is the MacBook better here? Not mentioning the OS and stuff.

The quad core i5 costs 1500€ pretty pricey for the extra stuff you mentioned that I don't even really care about. Why not go with the Lenovo ThinkPad E14 (10th gen i7, 16Gb ram, 512 GB, dedicated GPU) for 1200€? How is the MacBook better here? Not mentioning the OS and stuff.
I have the E15 as a work laptop and the screen is worse, the trackpad is abysmal and the keyboard is C tier. For the workload you’re doing too CPU power shouldn’t be a massive concern. Though you can TB a GPU into the Mac if you need it down the line.

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
I have the E15 as a work laptop and the screen is worse, the trackpad is abysmal and the keyboard is C tier. For the workload you’re doing too CPU power shouldn’t be a massive concern. Though you can TB a GPU into the Mac if you need it down the line.
Alright I will think about it. Thanks for the suggestion.

TRENDING THREADS