[SOLVED] Which mobo for a 2700x?

Dankdab

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
I just bought a msi rtx 2080ti trio and I know that my i7 6700k (paired with a z270-k mobo) will be a decent bottleneck so I plan on getting a 2700x but i do not know which mobo i should buy i dont care about extra features i just want it to work with my current ram (hyperX ddr4 2133) and with the 2700x

edit- also will a coolermaster 212 evo be enough to run the 2700x without overclocking just for gaming?

Solution
I half disagree with the 6700k being a bottleneck. Depends what you are doing with it. If you are concerned with maximum possible FPS, then you want to look at Ryzen 3000 or 9th gen Intel.

If you do need the threads instead, I would still look at the 3600 first, then the 3700x.

But if you are running like a 4K monitor, it won't really matter either way. All the burden will be on the GPU.

You also don't want to pair Ryzen with 2133Mhz memory. That is crippling any advantage it may have over 6th gen.

Evo 212 is probably enough for overclocking the 2700x, but they don't have as much headroom as Intel.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I half disagree with the 6700k being a bottleneck. Depends what you are doing with it. If you are concerned with maximum possible FPS, then you want to look at Ryzen 3000 or 9th gen Intel.

If you do need the threads instead, I would still look at the 3600 first, then the 3700x.

But if you are running like a 4K monitor, it won't really matter either way. All the burden will be on the GPU.

You also don't want to pair Ryzen with 2133Mhz memory. That is crippling any advantage it may have over 6th gen.

Evo 212 is probably enough for overclocking the 2700x, but they don't have as much headroom as Intel.

Reactions: Vic 40
Solution

Dankdab

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

so how much longer will my i7 6700k have? i plan on upgrading my cpu before cyberpunk is out

also what ram would you recommend instead?

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would wait until you see some benchmarks on the games you want to play before making any purchasing decisions.

How long it lasts is entirely up to what you are satisfied with. Most CPU benchmarks for games run at low resolution so you can see the difference. They are testing the CPU not the graphics so you can see the differences. If you ran those sames tests at a high resolution or settings, then the differences would become minor.

Ryzen responds to faster memory. DDR4 3200 is a common choice. 3600 is possible.

Dankdab

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
I would wait until you see some benchmarks on the games you want to play before making any purchasing decisions.

How long it lasts is entirely up to what you are satisfied with. Most CPU benchmarks for games run at low resolution so you can see the difference. They are testing the CPU not the graphics so you can see the differences. If you ran those sames tests at a high resolution or settings, then the differences would become minor.

Ryzen responds to faster memory. DDR4 3200 is a common choice. 3600 is possible.

I am not fond of the idea waiting for benchmarks, I am upgrading so that I can play those games on day one so that I don't have to wait thats the entire purpose of me upgrading at this time

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would say the rumors are still flying, but given who is making it and with what. You can take a look at the Witcher III as good base. Maybe add 15-20% for some wiggle room. Last time I fired that up I think I was still running my dual GTX980 and an i7-4770k, no issues at 1440p. But again, most of the burden was on graphics.

Leaked minimum specs are nothing spectacular, but as others have noted, it is going to end up on the consoles, which have fairly average stats for gaming PCs.