Question Which old or new laptop brand and model is most upgradeable?

eh936

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2012
I'm looking to buy a new laptop and would like to buy one that the CPU, RAM and storage are all upgradeable. Are there any models out there that come with these requirements ? I'd like to spend $1K - $1.5K if possible but will consider spending more if needed.

Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm looking to buy a new laptop and would like to buy one that the CPU, RAM and storage are all upgradeable. Are there any models out there that come with these requirements ? I'd like to spend $1K - $1.5K if possible but will consider spending more if needed.

Thanks.
Don't buy a laptop in the hopes of major upgrades.
Laptops, for the most part, are not standardized.

From mainstream companies, drives, and maybe RAM.

The company Framework has a mostly upgradeable system, but thats about it.
https://frame.work/marketplace/laptops

Thanks.
Changing the cpu or gpu in a laptop is not normal. Those parts are normally soldered in.
Particularly for the ultra lights where weight is a prime concern.

But, if you are comfortable upgrading drives and ram, you can get a better value in doing so yourself.
Laptop vendors charge 2x the retail cost of the parts.

As a brand, I think the Lenovo thinkpad units have better potential for upgrades.

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
Hmm...

I know this sounds odd, but I did saw a laptop model that had such.

It's a Korean laptop called Hansung Bossmonster that had upgradable desktop CPUs back in the day. However, that ability was discontinued as newer ones are being released.

But the ones that do aren't that old. Sadly, they're only available in Korea. :(

Last edited: