which part of the hdd has better performance

G

the inner or outter of the platters. also, the first drive/partition, data gets written from inner of the platter?

thx

hollett

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
Not 100%, but if the disk uses the same data density across the platters the the outside edge will have the best due to the higher linear speed of the disk. thats why your 50X cdrom might only give you 12X speed when reading the inside of the disk.
does anybody else have more info on this?

Only the insane prosper.
Only those who prosper can judge what is sane.

Hades

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
The inner part of the disk usually has the best performance. Not exactly sure why, but im 99% sure thats the way it goes. Download the HD Tach trial and you'll see the transfer rate drop as you get to the outer edges. If everything is going well and the disk is not too defragmented, data is written from the inside out.

mrtj

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
i am not 100% sure, but when i capture, i have better luck on a drive without much files on. i.e. my maxtor 82gb, captures great up until about 65-70 gb useage. after that it starts dropping frames more often. had that happen quite a few times after capturing for 10 hours or so, or if i capture a lot, then start a new one at the end.

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The beginning of the disk actually physically starts at the outside of the platters (yes, this is the opposite of a CD). The beginning (outside) has the highest data transfer rate and lowest seek time (ie. best performance). I am 100% sure about this.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hehe, well, now you know a lot, so, are you gonna tape inner part of the disks off to prevent drive from writing onto it, heh, and let it use just the outer part, so you would get the "most" of performance? hehehehe

Just a silly post... eehhhh, what kind of difference it makes? Drive is drive, you want it or not it is going to write wherever it has to.

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink: