Which pcie-card for 40 users hotspot

Gregbzh

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
Hi everybody,

I am making a box for digital event, for 40 wifi users.
We must put all the component in this box (a mini-pc).
So i am looking for a wifi card which i can share with 40 other device.
All our test with the wifi card are maximize to 13 users.

TY

Greg

If I was setting a limit 13 users would be around what I pick, I likely would choose less. There likely is a artificial limit in the driver or maybe the hotspot software.

The actual limit is related to how much traffic is actually going between the server and the clients. You can run a lot of users that are pretty much idle but you would be lucky to get 3 or 4 users streaming hd video....and of course only 1 pig running torrent.

I know the drivers used when you load third party firmware into routers like dd-wrt do not have a fixed limit. Since this is linux based and the same driver will run on a pc platform with a wireless card using the same chipset should not have a limit. Now if you are using windows or some hotspot software to accomplish this I do not know if there is a limit.

They make extremely small travel router that would likely work better, but 40 active users is a lot even for high end commercial AP.

Gregbzh

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
The box isn't connected to Internet. The web server is on it... 40 is the only first step.
The real demand is a box that can allow to 250 people with ipad to be connected ... we have a lot of client who want event with so many people connected. I can't understand that nobody talk about the max users connection of router which is the real important value of router. Actually, we must have three cases with all the ipad, all the six router, and the server. ONe of our concurrent has made a box for 40 users in wifi without router (on a mini-pc), so we want to do the same.