[SOLVED] Which power supply should I buy?

Apr 3, 2020
My current Specs:
R5 2600
MSI B450 Tomahawk
RX 470 4G
16 Gb Corsair Vengeance @2933Mhz

The power supply I currently have is the Gigabyte PB500 (500W) which is probably causing the system to freeze up and then I get a black screen, also the CPU led is lit up on the mobo.

So I was looking to buy a new PSU.
My question: Is 550W unit enough even to power a RTX 2060 super if i upgrade to one?

I have few options for 550W
  1. Corsair CX550 80+ bronze
  2. Antec EA550G Pro 80+ gold (slightly more expensive where I live)

Also I can go for 650W units of the above if need be.

Solution
Yes I have tried with XMP disabled and the issue is still there.
I have even tried 2 different bios versions - the latest one and the version prior to Zen 2 launch.

But the issue happens so randomly it is hard to reproduce.

I currently have no overclocks on the CPU, I used to run 3.85 Ghz all core before this started happening so I put everything back to stock speeds but that didn't help. However upon dialing back the overclocks the frequency of the issue has decreased significantly.

You should test your memory with memtest86... let it run overnight and check for errors.

Also try running with one module individually.

YES.... the CX models(2017 grey label) are great too.
I'd go for the Antec... it's based on the Seasonic Focus Gold platform.
550W will be plenty even with a RTX 2060.

About your freezing problem... yes it may be the PSU as it's a low quality model, but it can also be something else instead.

Have you tried running without XMP(A-XMP I think on MSI boards)?
Try turnning off XMP and see if the crashing persists. Also reset any overclocks if you have.

Apr 3, 2020
About your freezing problem... yes it may be the PSU as it's a low quality model, but it can also be something else instead.

Have you tried running without XMP(A-XMP I think on MSI boards)?
Try turnning off XMP and see if the crashing persists. Also reset any overclocks if you have.

I have even tried 2 different bios versions - the latest one and the version prior to Zen 2 launch.

I currently have no overclocks on the CPU, I used to run 3.85 Ghz all core before this started happening so I put everything back to stock speeds but that didn't help. However upon dialing back the overclocks the frequency of the issue has decreased significantly.

Apr 3, 2020
I'd go for the Antec... it's based on the Seasonic Focus Gold platform.
550W will be plenty even with a RTX 2060.

I will try to get the 550W version, the 650W model is much more expensive but much easier to find than the 550W here in India.
If I can't find any of the antec ones, is the CX550/650 still ok for a build like mine?

You should test your memory with memtest86... let it run overnight and check for errors.

Also try running with one module individually.

YES.... the CX models(2017 grey label) are great too.

Solution
Apr 3, 2020
You need to rule out your memory, as it can develop simillar symptoms when it's defective(freezes, black screens, BSODs).

If memtest is not giving any errors, test with each memory module individually to check if you still get crashes.

I will run it overnight tonight for both modules. Thanks for the help.
Anyways I will also replace the psu with a better one as I have heard that it is a pretty bad model.

I just did a single pass and there were no errors (But I know that doesn't prove that my memory is ok & moreover the issue is random in my case).

I will run it overnight tonight for both modules. Thanks for the help.
Anyways I will also replace the psu with a better one as I have heard that it is a pretty bad model.

I just did a single pass and there were no errors (But I know that doesn't prove that my memory is ok & moreover the issue is random in my case).

Yeah... I agree with the PSU change.

Even if you don't get any errors on memtest, just to make sure, test with each memory module individually in the tasks that usually caused the crashes.

Apr 3, 2020
Even if you don't get any errors on memtest, just to make sure, test with each memory module individually in the tasks that usually caused the crashes.

It is not any task, mostly happens while on desktop while not doing anything, not even chrome running in background.

I will be sure to run the sticks individually too on memtest.

Another thing I have noticed is in HWMonitor, the 12V rail sometimes drops below 11.75V frequently even while running chrome (1-2 Tabs). However it is within ATX spec so it can be something else too.