[SOLVED] which power supply should i get for a 3070?

zova

Reputable
Feb 12, 2018
my current psu is 600w 80+ bronze,
specs:

1060 6gb
ryzen 2600x
24gb ram
240gb ssd
1tb hdd
b450 dsh3

i need a new psu for the 3070

Solution
i just want to be able to get 240fps 1080p on most games

In that case you want to invest heavily on the CPU side of things - very high frame rates require high IPC + high clock speed CPU.

A faster graphics card will allow you to hit high frame rates at higher detail settings, but the CPU is arguably more important. Also keep in mind, there are many games that simply cannot hit these kinds of frame rates as the game itself isn't optimised to do so (for example it's literally impossible to get over ~ 100 fps in the new Microsoft Flight Simulator, no matter what hardware you have). The types of games which are optimised for very high fps (fortnight, CS:GO, Dota etc) are usually pretty easy to run graphics wise so tend to favour...
my current psu is 600w 80+ bronze,
specs:

1060 6gb
ryzen 2600x
24gb ram
240gb ssd
1tb hdd
b450 dsh3

i need a new psu for the 3070

I would wait for the reviews before purchasing any new hardware for the RTX 3000 series. There have been notes from OEM board makers saying a high spec PSU will be needed for the 3000 series but no specific ratings or models so it's hard to say right now.

Also - the RTX 3070 is as fast / faster than a 2080ti (if nVidia is to be believed) so honestly you will probably need a CPU upgrade as well to get the most out of it.... what screen resolution and settings do you game at (or want to game at)? The RTX 3070 is a massive jump from your current hardware, if you are only gaming at 1080p for example you might want to wait a bit longer for the RTX 3060 (which hasn't been officially announced yet but is coming), or look at getting a good deal on a current RTX 2000 series card as there have been announcements of price drops recently...

zova

Reputable
Feb 12, 2018
I would wait for the reviews before purchasing any new hardware for the RTX 3000 series. There have been notes from OEM board makers saying a high spec PSU will be needed for the 3000 series but no specific ratings or models so it's hard to say right now.

Also - the RTX 3070 is as fast / faster than a 2080ti (if nVidia is to be believed) so honestly you will probably need a CPU upgrade as well to get the most out of it.... what screen resolution and settings do you game at (or want to game at)? The RTX 3070 is a massive jump from your current hardware, if you are only gaming at 1080p for example you might want to wait a bit longer for the RTX 3060 (which hasn't been officially announced yet but is coming), or look at getting a good deal on a current RTX 2000 series card as there have been announcements of price drops recently...

In that case you want to invest heavily on the CPU side of things - very high frame rates require high IPC + high clock speed CPU.

A faster graphics card will allow you to hit high frame rates at higher detail settings, but the CPU is arguably more important. Also keep in mind, there are many games that simply cannot hit these kinds of frame rates as the game itself isn't optimised to do so (for example it's literally impossible to get over ~ 100 fps in the new Microsoft Flight Simulator, no matter what hardware you have). The types of games which are optimised for very high fps (fortnight, CS:GO, Dota etc) are usually pretty easy to run graphics wise so tend to favour high performance cpu over the gpu.

Currently the best CPU choice for 240 fps games is an intel 10th Gen cpu (Core i5 10600K or better - needs to be a 'K' series as you will want to overclock the CPU to over 5ghz so also needs a pricey Z series mobo and good cooling).

The AMD Ryzen 3000 series CPU's can hit these kinds of frame rates in some titles, but these cpu's can't reach the high clock speeds Intel can (they top our ~ 4.3 ghz all core, although they do have other advantages over 10th gen like larger Cache and higher IPC in some cases so it depends on the game somewhat). These would offer an easy upgrade for you as you can keep your existing motherboard. AMD are due to release the next gen Ryzen 4000 series desktop cpu's which are supposed to be more competitive in games, and B450 motherboards will be getting an upgrade option for these cpu's although you may have to wait a while based on AMD's announcements about it.

Solution