Which Processor ?

Visi0nS

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I'm confused. Need some help.. AMD or Intel ? I originally was planning on going with the AMD 5200, but all this talk about Intels has interested me. I dont know which one to get. People say that Intels are better to get because they can be overclocked and are easy to upgrade to a Quad-Core farther down the road. Do you guys think that AMDs are easy to upgrade and will have a Quad-Core that we will be able to upgrade to? Please help
Thx

randomizer

Champion
There is plenty of info on this but to answer you question, both are easy to upgrade since they both use DDR2 RAM (as long as you use AM2 for AMD). For amd quad-core, dont know much, nor do I care much about them (or any quad-core for that matter). But Iv'e heard that you can drop an AM3 proc into an AM2 board and it will work fine but without DDR3 support (since the AM2 mobo obviously cant run that). As for intel, they are continuing to use LGA775 for a while yet so there is no need to worry about socket changes as of yet, but knowing intel that may change.

Get what you want. Intel is a little faster, but not that much, except in certain applications. And quad core. Forget it. The cpu alone costs more than most computers. It's for business servers. Newegg was trying to get $1699 for the x6700.

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
It all depends on whether AMD will change sockets when they release their first quad core. AM2 has no future if a quad core (or Core 2 worthy competitor dual-core) is not released on it.

I would go with the Intel, you will be able to upgrade to Kentsfield, guaranteed (as long as you use a compatible mobo).