Which PSU brand do you trust?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which PSU brand do you trust?

• Zalman

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Coolermaster

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Corsair

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • OCZ

• Thermaltake

• Tagan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other...

Votes: 15 27.8%

• Total voters

Yup. Most of the Corsair, Antec, PC Power are all Seasonic bilt units that are just rebranded. ALL of the XFX units are Seasonic built currently.

FYI. the new corsairs are mostly made by CWT. Antec's new units are mostly delta, and new PC Power & Cooling are highpower units. All very good brands to buy still but the "they are just a re-badged seasonic" theory does not apply to most of their new units, like I stated above.
Really? So I guess only XFX has SeaSonic as the only OEM?

thatasiankid

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
I chose Thermaltake because my Thermaltake 450W never had a problem running any graphics cards even very power consuming. I currently use my GTS 250 on it, and my GTS250 Uses upto 160watts

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Coolermaster, Power X, Dell Generic, Enermax, Huntkey, Yatamsuo (spl)

All these above are previous PSU's ive had and not had a single problem with them, all of the above (apart from the Dell, as i used some cables and soldered them onto the Huntkey PSU to extend some wires) are still active to this day.

Ive never owned a Corsair, XFX, Antec, Seasonic, OCZ, Thermaltake, Zalman...

Can only comment on the experiance ive had with the PSU's ive owned..

/facepalm. This is the worst way to choose a PSU. Just because you can run it on your hardware does not mean it is good.

+1 I choose thermaltake because the only Corsair PSUs that I can find in my country are 450W :lol:

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007

Then explain what makes it good? When it doesnt run? If something is working, and working fine, where is the line of that Unit/service becoming "good"? If the user things the Unit/service is good, isnt all that matters?

Do you think Scada Service Support for Siemens Wind Power is good? or is the nPower Scada Support engineers better? Same thing as above, just a different service and scenario.. :)

thatasiankid

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010

+1 Thank you for understanding.

The ability to deliver clean power.

You drive your car to the "Lukoil" gas station and fill up, saving .05c a gallon, a year and a half later your car develops a tick, someone says " bad gas ", you say " gas is gas ".

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007

Ok, Scenario for you.

You need a car for shopping, a Ford Fiesta will do, priced cheaply and does it well.. But you go and buy a proche 911 for like 10x the price, over whelmed for the needs..

Also, can you say here now that you go and buy a Corsair, XFX, Antec etc PSU and guarantee that it wont blow up or come 1.5/2 years down the line??

Lukoil gas would kill the Fiesta or the Porsche, were not talking about the type of car, we're talking about the fuel for the car.

There's no guarantee that one of the big boys won't blow up unexpectedly, no guarantee that they'll provide clean power either, just plenty of reviews that say they do and that the lower quality units don't.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Reviews still suggest the Coolermaster aint the best, but it by far aint the worst either..

Nobody can guarantee anything, Coolermaster as alot to prove, not so much Corsair, or Antec etc..

But the fact is that if the Corsairs or XFX or Antec's etc were priced more competitevly then they have everything to play for, but paying over £100 for a unit which Coolermaster produces at £30-£40 lower, That 30 or 40 quid could be used for something else, or to upgrade something which you've strimped on (like a GPU or something) or even outside of the PC world. Thats alot of money to some people, not so much for others. Guess im just a cheap ass :)

And going on fuel, You have a Fiesta, Do you buy Vpower Fuel at 1.19pence per litre or do you buy unleaded 91 octane for 1.11pence per litre? Both do the same just one is "more powerful, or better"?
(Put this above on a big scale, as 4.55 approx litres = 1 gallon, and cars usually have 30-40gallon Tanks.)

Lukoil gas is bad, wether regular or HighTest, stick with the Shell on either level.
( We might start confusing people if we keep on like this )

My V8 powered extended cab pick-up has a 36 gallon tank, most cars come nowhere near that.

Petey1013

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Pretty much comes down to the model of the PSU.

Coolermaster Silent Pro series got good review from johnny, yet we all know the CM Extreme PSUs are junk.

I think it comes down to finding a decent name, and then finding quality reviews about that specific PSU.

You're killing me :)

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007

But Coolermaster offer a 5 year warranty??

Even going on the subject of tyres, if hedgefinders offered 5 years, compared to Toyo/Michellen who offer 3 years at double the price?? Or even if they offered 5 years warranty, its still double the price you pay?

What im trying to say is, Coolermaster aint all THAT bad, Yes there aint up there with the so called greats, but they aint down there with the so called abominations either.. An Average/Good PSU and a very good price.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
I have the GX750w on my overclocked system, 6months down the line and still running fine?

Im sure an i7 930 oc'd, 2 sli GTx470's, 5 HDD's, Blu Ray, USB Keyboard/Mouse and Headset is more than 450 watts lmao!!

Maybe they tested a bad unit? Not once has my system shut down, was playing Metro 2033 for 10 hours the other day.. Not once did it jitter.. hmmmm

But hey ho, 5 years warranty may come in handy.. :)

TRENDING THREADS