[SOLVED] Which RTX 3080 Ti?

D

Deleted member 2783327

For the last 2.5 years GPU's have been out of the question, and it's unlikely the prices here will ever again reach sanity. However, I have a couple of cards approaching 5 years old (GTX 1070, GTX 1080Ti), and a few GTX 1660 Tis that are approaching 4 years old. I used to keep all my hardware within warranty and upgrade before it ran out. That's impossible now.

My main PC has an RTX 2080 Ti and I was considering moving to an RTX 3080 Ti, then rolling down the 2080 to another PC and then selling off a GTX 1070

The brands I'm considering are MSI, ASUS primarily, possibly EVGA or Gigabyte. Brands like colorful, sapphire, gainward, inno3D, zotac are not going to be considered.

The prices, whilst all insanely high, vary by as much as A$1500 (A$1499 - A$2999).

I'm looking for a card that doesn't run hot - has good cooling, and good performance. Review sites are all but useless. They seem to push different brands/models. There is no consistency.

I do a lot of graphics editing/rendering, MySQL programming, gaming, I'm running an I9-10940X with 32GB DDR4-3733 CL16. Case space is no issue. I Have a Thermaltake W100. CPU is cooled with a 280mm AIO.
If Intel ever release another HEDT CPU I'll be upgrading there due to the need for additional PCIe lanes. But right now I'm using an X299 Creator from MSI.

What would you GPU guru's here recommend in terms of brand and model?

I'm assuming the lower priced cards are at those price points because they are poor performers (Eg the ASUS TUF, which itself varies in price from A$1599 -A $2499, and the MSI Ventus).

Solution
I am considering this; https://rog.asus.com/au/graphics-ca...-strix/rog-strix-rtx3080ti-o12g-gaming-model/
but it doesn't specifically say it's a metal back plate,
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-3090-strix-oc/2.html
"ASUS is using a metal backplate with thermal pads over the memory chips as well as certain VRM components."

EVGA doesn't have heat issues, as far as I've read.
Now, their Hybrids apparently get loud; the lone fan can ramp up a bit.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm assuming the lower priced cards are at those price points because they are poor performers (Eg the ASUS TUF, which itself varies in price from A$1599 -A $2499, and the MSI Ventus).
I think that's related to how much overstock remains of a particular model.
Production has long since ceased on RTX 30, and they're trying to get rid of the excess they've got, but as the inventory gets near empty, the price goes back up.
I recall behavior like this with the 10 series - the 1080Ti in particular. I got mine at launch for ~710USD, and I forget how long after that... but at some point, the price of them kept going up and up and up... I was like, "WTCrap is going on? They've gotten over $1000!"
[I don't believe one of those cryptobooms hit yet.]
Some members informed me - maybe they were wrong, it is the internets - that this happens as a model sells out.

Maybe check out Buildzoid's channel if you have time, because he goes over some cards - at length, mind you... to try and sum it up a little bit:
Asus appears to be #1 this gen in PCB and cooler engineering. Strix > TUF.
Many others just seemed to take Nvidia's design and stretched it out; didn't improve anything, except for the cooler, and some even cheaped out on components...
Your 2080Ti may be better designed than some of these models...

Due to how good their CS is(or so I hear/read), EVGA may be runner up, though how's that one saying go? "The best warranty is the one you never have to use", or something?
They got the most feedback of the AIBs when it came to busted RTX 30 cards... then again, they're also Nvidia's largest partner, ~so...

The others AIBs are trading blows, I'd imagine.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on different needs. Some cases benefit strongly from FE, some do well with the more shallow 2.5-3 slot cards, some have no such restrictions so even the 3.5-4 slot cards have no issues.

Yes, Evga had some burn out issues, more generally than other vendors, But, it also had higher sales than the other vendors and did not have the issues with warranty and customer service that Gigabyte especially and to some extent MSI had. Asus, was it's regular self, solid cards, few issues, better than mediocre warranty department.

A good chunk of the burnouts were due to unreasonable power limit limits in games like Amazon's New World which was documented hitting above 120%, coupled with 30series transient spikes hitting North of 150% additional power draw. Those cards were not designed to handle almost 700w power draws, even temporarily.

Honestly, can't touch Evga for warranty. They'll go above and beyond to make things right, as long as you did your part by registering the card. If something goes catastrophically wrong. Asus would be my other choice, may not always be the best performance, but at least they are solid and generally quieter than everyone else excepting MSI.

Deal breaker for me is the backplate. It had better actually have one, and it must be metal, no plastic wannabe, thankyou. Metal not only provides some sag support, but can also aid in radiated cooling.

D

Deleted member 2783327

Thanks for the info.

I am considering this; https://rog.asus.com/au/graphics-ca...-strix/rog-strix-rtx3080ti-o12g-gaming-model/
but it doesn't specifically say it's a metal back plate, and it has a support bracket, so I guess it's not. This is really the only ASUS option unless I want to fiddle with liquid cooling.

I read some reviews saying the EVGA are loud. If they have heat issues, I guess that would explain why.

Some of the games include Diablo, Fortnite, Pubg, Runescape 3 (which can be a system killer), COD MW. Games of that ilk.

The problem with warranty in Australia is that if a manufacturer doesn't have a presence in Australia the warranty in some cases becomes unenforceable. Sure, on paper it's covered. I've had issues with Corsair and ASRock. Corsair flat out refused to warranty a cooler too simply because I do not own a cell phone. The other issue is that warranty turn around is typically 8 - 16 weeks for GPUs during good times. One would hope the GPU doesn't fail :)

This one has a metal back plate. It's clocked a lot lower though, and about A$50 cheaper.
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3080-Ti-GAMING-X-TRIO-12G

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
but it doesn't specifically say it's a metal back plate,
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-3090-strix-oc/2.html
"ASUS is using a metal backplate with thermal pads over the memory chips as well as certain VRM components."

EVGA doesn't have heat issues, as far as I've read.
Now, their Hybrids apparently get loud; the lone fan can ramp up a bit.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2783327

Got my new ASUS card installed.
One observation: The RTX 3080 Ti runs 12C hotter on stock settings than my MSI RTX 2080 Ti did when overclocked. (32C vs 44C).

TRENDING THREADS