ICY11

Reputable
Mar 3, 2021
So I have an ASUS TUF FX705DT (2019) laptop and here are its specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3750H
RAM: 16GB DDR4 (although it's 2666Mhz, it can only go up to 2400Mhz due to CPU limitation).
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 (Mobile)
SSD: 256GB M.2 NVMe (main drive)
HDD: 1TB 7200rpm (storage drive)
WiFi card: Realtek 8822BE WiFi 5

I wanted to upgrade one of the components as of now but I am confused as to which one should it be in, here are my options:

16GB --> 32GB
(or)
256GB SSD -->1TB SSD (Mainly for coding and storing important documents)
(or)
1TB HDD to 1TB SSD (Mainly used for storing games and other large files)
(or)
Wifi 5 --> Wifi 7 (Not my most preferred upgrade since my router is still on Wifi 5 but if its recommended then I shall choose it)

I mainly play AAA games from a few years ago and barely play the latest ones cause of how expensive they are (will be getting them when its on a discount sometime in the future), if you guys have any suggestions or need more information about this, please do let me know, thanks.

Solution
Well, Do you need more storage? If so I'd ditch that 256gb nvme for a bigger drive, that to me seems to be the better path considering the rest of the specs. HDD to SSD eh idk if its worth over just getting a bigger m.2 SSD over that small one to add more space, games that do want speed you can just install it to the m.2 for now. Upgrade the HDD later as it's a vary cheap upgrade anyway.

But 32gb of ram is nice if you plan to play something that uses more memory, I often play with virtual machine stuff, it's nice to have 32gb for that.

If all you do is game and youtube and stuff like that, Just stick with the wifi you already have, if you have a file server, then maybe if you are impatient person, but then again you'd also need a...
Well, Do you need more storage? If so I'd ditch that 256gb nvme for a bigger drive, that to me seems to be the better path considering the rest of the specs. HDD to SSD eh idk if its worth over just getting a bigger m.2 SSD over that small one to add more space, games that do want speed you can just install it to the m.2 for now. Upgrade the HDD later as it's a vary cheap upgrade anyway.

But 32gb of ram is nice if you plan to play something that uses more memory, I often play with virtual machine stuff, it's nice to have 32gb for that.

If all you do is game and youtube and stuff like that, Just stick with the wifi you already have, if you have a file server, then maybe if you are impatient person, but then again you'd also need a router capable of wifi 6 or 7. Wifi 5 on that laptop should be able to handle pretty fast internet connection, maybe not gigabit, but do you really need it?

Most of this stuff you can pretty much answer your self as your needs and wants will differ from me or anyone else.

Good Luck!

Reactions: Vic 40
Solution

ICY11

Reputable
Mar 3, 2021

If all you do is game and youtube and stuff like that, Just stick with the wifi you already have, if you have a file server, then maybe if you are impatient person, but then again you'd also need a router capable of wifi 6 or 7. Wifi 5 on that laptop should be able to handle pretty fast internet connection, maybe not gigabit, but do you really need it?

Most of this stuff you can pretty much answer your self as your needs and wants will differ from me or anyone else.

Good Luck!
Thanks a lot for the information, now that I look at it, upgrading the RAM seems more viable as I often notice stuttering when I use Chrome, VSCode, and Discord (accompanied by a high RAM usage chart from Task Manager) so might go ahead with the RAM first.

As for storage, the only game that I might need fast loading for is CS2 but apart from that, all other games are single-player AAA type so loading times won't affect me much there, so will plan on upgrading that sometime in the future.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Viking2121