Question Which VGA to HDMI Converter is better for my PC with HDMI port and Monitor with VGA port?

Nov 3, 2023

vs

I do not know if both of them have no difference, but my intuition telling me that since the top requires me to use VGA cable, it could be bad since VGA cable are more fragile than HDMI cable, so I feel like the bottom could be a better option (especially since all of my HDMI cable are unused for a long time).

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You know it's kind of weird asking people to judge adapter quality by *pictures*. Actually linking to the products would be a million times more useful. The bottom one is almost certainly, as Glenwing notes, VGA-to-HDMI, but that's from the picture.

Also, if you're trying to connect a PC to a VGA monitor, you need an HDMI-to-VGA converter, not a VGA-to-HDMI converter. The signal originates from the PC/GPU and travels to the monitor, not the other way around. These are not bi-directional.

Reactions: SyCoREAPER
Nov 3, 2023
Bottom adapter takes VGA input and converts to HDMI output. Not the other way around.
i notice my mistake yeah, i found the right one though which takes vga output and hdmi input, thank god i noticed that before i bought it lol
Zo0D9Wy.png

Nov 3, 2023
You know it's kind of weird asking people to judge adapter quality by *pictures*. Actually linking to the products would be a million times more useful. The bottom one is almost certainly, as Glenwing notes, VGA-to-HDMI, but that's from the picture.

Also, if you're trying to connect a PC to a VGA monitor, you need an HDMI-to-VGA converter, not a VGA-to-HDMI converter. The signal originates from the PC/GPU and travels to the monitor, not the other way around. These are not bi-directional.
sorry about that here:
VGA-TO-HDMI with the cable
VGA-TO-HDMI without the cable

btw the one without the cable, i found out that's the wrong product so i found what i think is the right one which goes from pc hdmi to vga monitor, i almost bought the wrong one, but thank goodness I did a bit more research to find out i got the wrong one.

Nov 3, 2023

just to make sure the right one (which takes HDMI input to VGA output) does not need that DC/5V cable unlike the wrong one correct?

If so, why is that the case?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
just to make sure the right one (which takes HDMI input to VGA output) does not need that DC/5V cable unlike the wrong one correct?

The big problem here is that you're using "HDMI-to-VGA" and "VGA-to-HDMI" as if they are interchangeable. Just one post ago, you wrote a link as a "VGA-to-HDMI" which went to an HDMI-to-VGA converter.

At this point I don't know if you're sure of what you need, so I'm not sure how anyone else can be. This is a situation in which it would help to give all the information instead of tiny bits and pieces. If I ask someone if a Mazda part worked for my car and then linked to them a Honda part, they'd be very confused as to what to recommend me.

What GPU/motherboard is being attached to *what* monitor? What port is being used on the GPU/motherboard? What ports does the monitor have available? Is this a new or an existing setup? If there are multiple options available for the ports, why specifically were these ports chosen?

Reactions: SyCoREAPER

HDMI output port supplies 5V DC which the adapter can use. VGA port does not supply power so external source is needed.
The big problem here is that you're using "HDMI-to-VGA" and "VGA-to-HDMI" as if they are interchangeable. Just one post ago, you wrote a link as a "VGA-to-HDMI" which went to an HDMI-to-VGA converter.

At this point I don't know if you're sure of what you need, so I'm not sure how anyone else can be. This is a situation in which it would help to give all the information instead of tiny bits and pieces. If I ask someone if a Mazda part worked for my car and then linked to them a Honda part, they'd be very confused as to what to recommend me.

What GPU/motherboard is being attached to *what* monitor? What port is being used on the GPU/motherboard? What ports does the monitor have available? Is this a new or an existing setup? If there are multiple options available for the ports, why specifically were these ports chosen?
Based on the thread title "PC with HDMI port and Monitor with VGA port" they need HDMI to VGA.

Nov 3, 2023
Oops, that was a mistake, I meant to say HDMI to VGA, not the other way around. But just to clear all the confusion,

Let me reword everything I say;

I have a PC that only have HDMI port and a Monitor than have only VGA port. I found two products that does the same but with different implementation. So I wanna ask, if I should get
1st Option. The one that has a HDMI cable already which I connect to my PC and then I need to insert VGA cable to the converter and connect it to my Monitor or
2nd Option. The one where I need to plug it in to the monitor and then insert HDMI cable and connect it to my PC.
Ql7RtpK.png

1st Option: HDMI to VGA (with cable)
-----------------------------------------------
e198b0cb3806446b29e92a914b693191

2nd Option: HDMI to VGA (without cable)

Which design is more reliable in this case?

I don't believe there will be much difference. But you should be careful to make sure the second adapter would fit, on monitors with downward-facing ports there may be obstructions preventing such a bulky device from fitting.

Nov 3, 2023
I don't believe there will be much difference. But you should be careful to make sure the second adapter would fit, on monitors with downward-facing ports there may be obstructions preventing such a bulky device from fitting.
Well in this case, i just find it a quite a hassle with VGA locking mechanism, and how all of my VGA cable are faulty, one cause discoloration another one cause my monitor to flicker and more (tried on some device with VGA port). I would buy a new VGA cable, but I have HDMI cable that work just fine because they havent been used in a while.