Which Web Browser Is Best Under Windows 8?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I know it's only been two weeks, but I'd like to seen the test rerun now that FF 17 has come out. Version 16 was a disappointment and I even switched to IE for the couple of weeks until 17 came out (I used Chrome 23 as well, but I have to use several sites for school that use ActiveScript, so FF or IE for me), anyways, now that 17 is out it is definitely better than Chrome 23 and IE 10. I never have load errors and there is no lag in the UI with up to 25 tabs open (I have never tried more).

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
[citation][nom]WakaFlaka[/nom]I know it's only been two weeks, but I'd like to seen the test rerun now that FF 17 has come out. Version 16 was a disappointment and I even switched to IE for the couple of weeks until 17 came out (I used Chrome 23 as well, but I have to use several sites for school that use ActiveScript, so FF or IE for me), anyways, now that 17 is out it is definitely better than Chrome 23 and IE 10. I never have load errors and there is no lag in the UI with up to 25 tabs open (I have never tried more).[/citation]
FF17 can be ignored, FF18 will be the one that matters, with IonMonkey (and I think DLBI) under the hood.

AMD fanboy

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Chart from last page should be like this:
1. Opera(2nd fastest, have all that you need(except inbrowser translation - like Chrome), you don't even need ad blocking extension which slows page loading for all browsers...)
2. IE10 (Advanteges over Opera - fastest, lowest memory usage browser, Disadvantage: it's poor - lack of builtin options, lack of extensions)
3. Chrome
4. Firefox

Try all four browser + Safari - there are more browseres, but these are major ones

coolronz

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
well I can't even sign into Tom's with E.I.10, so i guess chrome or firefox really is better..... altho its more of a Java issue, nonetheless not able to post on certain other websites too... IE9 works great tho... :)

George Valkhoun

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Firefox is and always will be king. You just cannot beat open source. Period. You want to renounce your privacy then go ahead, make our day! Use IE and Chrome. Firefox as it is now and ever shall be, Amen.

fangjayme

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
i use Chrome and Firefox in daily life, now i know these both support Windows 8. i think i can Change Windows 7 to Windows 8 without any worry now

Danisidhe

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Umm, just quietly, that's all very nice in theory but Chrome is literally unusable on a touch screen - so benchmarks schmenchmarks it's useless!

Danisidhe

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Benchmarks schmenchmarks Chrome is unusable on a touch screen - it isn't in the running.
IE is great with a touch screen but in Metro randomly shuts down every few minutes.
Opera requires that you spend hours setting it up and connecting your entire life through it.

All I want is to know which browser I can use with touch and won't shutdown randomly. I guess I need to give FF a try on Win 8 - can't find an app for metro, though. (Yeah I know I shouldn't use "metro" but it gets the job done)

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
How about an update to the WBGP for Windows 8.1? Including IE 11 and its competitors. There are some 64-bit browsers out there. Pale Moon and Lunescape to name a couple. Also, 64-bit versions of IE and Opera. Can we see these benchmarked?

Status
Not open for further replies.