Which windows 7 should i buy for my new build.

xXSirBrianXx

Honorable
May 19, 2012
I already know i want Home Premium for my new computer build.
But the thing is, which windows 7 should i buy that will let me continuously change out parts or switch hard drives ?

please list the price.
Thanks in advance :]

Solution
I think OEM is for 1 mobo, but you can always call customer support and get an activation code when you reinstall. If you don't want to deal with the hassle then get the full retail version.

Also the full retail version includes discs for both 32bit and 64bit whereas the OEM version will only include the one disc for the version you buy.

Full retail - $170 on amazon

lycros

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
I think OEM is for 1 mobo, but you can always call customer support and get an activation code when you reinstall. If you don't want to deal with the hassle then get the full retail version.

Also the full retail version includes discs for both 32bit and 64bit whereas the OEM version will only include the one disc for the version you buy.

Full retail - $170 on amazon

Solution

lycros

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
You can swap, add, remove HDDs. The only trouble you might have is if you upgrade/change CPU/Mobo, but like I said you can call them up and usually they will just give you an activation code.

Hi :)

What do you think OEM stands for ??

Original Equipment Manufacturer...

He is NOT one and I am...

I own computer shops that BUILD Computers... therefore I am entitled to use an OEM he is NOT...as a HOME user...

The fact that sites like that allow ANYONE to buy Oems does NOT make it legal...to USE them !

I dont buy 1 Oem , I buy 50 at a time as its intended to allow small companies like mine to try and make a profit on machines we build...

So as I said...its ILLEGAL.... and good luck when he tries to explain that over the Activation helpline...he will end up buying a LEGAL copy...

All the best Brett :)

lycros

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
It's definitely NOT illegal to purchase and use an OEM version of windows for yourself. Please provide evidence for your claim.

Edit: I checked the license as well as on microsoft.com. It says that the OEM is "intended" for system builders that are going to resale. I am no lawyer, but I don't believe that this language is clear enough to claim that it is "illegal" to use the OEM version for personal use, on a new system, that you are building yourself.

Also there are probably loopholes you could use to get around this. For instance, "sell" the pc to a third party, and they "sell" it back to you.

+1 -- while it may be against the EULA it is in no way "Illegal" --- as there is no way that MS could prove whether the system was build to resell or for personal usage even if they did try to enforce it and any court would throw the case out as unenforceable -- If MS truly wanted the OEM versions to only be used on resale units they would have to require the OEM version be a direct purchase and require that the purchasor obtain some sort of verification that they are in the resale business - by allowing online sales of the product with no purchase requirement they pretty much invalidate any method of enforcing that portion of their EULA since no court would allow a company to sell a product through third parties and then not allow it to be used by the purchaser due to some line on a EULA that is not required to be read before purchase !!

xXSirBrianXx

Honorable
May 19, 2012

LOLOLOLOL guys i dont know and i dont care i dont plan on selling my first build. i'm currently replying to you using the same Windows 7 as listed above in my question. as long as police aren't coming through my front door, Lycros is did a great job answering :]

A question for you Brett --- Are you using a "RETAIL" version for your personal use or are you using one of those "illegal OEM versions" ?? (Since according to you using an OEM version for your personal system that you build for yourself would be Illegal did you pay the extra fee to purchase a full retail version for your personal use ??)