Who ordered a Radeon 7970?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Did you order a 7970

• I ordered mine

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • I'm going to order mine soon

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • It's too expensive

Votes: 30 44.1%
  • *I* ahem, only use nVidia products

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • *I* ahem, only use Intel HD 3000 graphics

Votes: 6 8.8%

• Total voters

mushroomking

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Right now my limiting factor is my HDD, so next upgrade is an SSD for boot/games. I don't see myself upgrading from the 5770 anytime soon. Like others have said, you can buy the latest and greatest GPU but what good will it do if the graphics aren't up to par? Now of course there are exceptions like if your running 3 or 4 monitors, or you want ungodly frame rates. But as of right now the 5770 allows me to play BF3@1920x1080 with max settings in a 64 person room without a hiccup, ATI has always been good to me.

But I'm not saying if I was offered a 7970 for $150that I would turn it down. :)

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

:bounce:
?? How is that possible ??? :eek:
I am using an Phenom Triple-Core (Not Phenom II) and with an 128MB Nvidia Geforce 6100 IGP and I can play Minecraft at Fancy with Normal Render Distance...
Even tho is it lags a bit when I also enable Smooth Lighting. :??:

I EXTREMELY recommend to install OptiFine for Minecraft since it boosted my FPS from 31 to 65.

Hope it helps to decrease your Lag. :)
_
Edit : Now that's what I call a off-topic. :D

Edit 2 : Who uses Intel HD 3000? Everyone knows that everyone uses GMA 950...

Gamr23

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Here's my attitude about this hype over the 7970. Yes it will be a great card, but experience has taught me, be patient. A video card is only as good as it's drivers, and right now this way to early to tell. Give the developers time to really tweak up the drivers, and greater stability plus performance with newer games will become evident over time. (Anybody remember the Rage nightmare? :fou: ) Drivers, drivers, drivers. :sol: Lastly I personally have my eye on the 7950, now showing a release date of February, rather than January. I am a huge fan of the Toxic Editions by Sapphire so I will completely hold out until they release one in this flavor. I am currently still running a 5850 Toxic, and have yet to find any game that can cripple it, at 1920X1080 things are quite stable and very enjoyable, at 60 to 80 frames per second games are still very smooth.

ASUS Sabertooth X58, I7 940, 6Gb Corsair XMS3 Tri-channel,Corsair CMPSU-850TX, Sapphire 5850 Toxic Edition

jjtober1

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Wow some people actually still talk about physx? Anyways, now that I'm done with BF3, there just isn't anything super demanding coming out for a while that has me all riled up. I'm going to wait for Kepler and see how all the chips fall. Would like to see what the 78xx cards can do, and how all the pricing ends up before I go for an upgrade. Can't say the thought of a 7970 doesn't get me going though either.

Chief7285

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I used to use a nvidia 9200 integrated got fed up with it being terrible then upgraded to the radeon hd 5450.

Would have gone with something better but im limited to my case size (hence the low profile card) and my 220w PSU

UltimateDeep

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I will want to get it within the month if only somebody can sell it below 300 SGD. Army pay is low to afford. I'm using a GTX 550 Ti, it won't be powerful enough for BF3 on max settings.

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
i ordered a 7970. upgrading from a 5770. so its a pretty big upgrade for me. the rest of my system is still pretty damn good but the video was lacking. so it needed improved. i considered a 6970 but since Im never an early adopter nor have i ever had a top of the line graphics card i figured I'd take the leap.

finally i will have something that can properly drive my 3 27" monitors.

campdude

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008

Im waiting for the windows xp drivers to come out... serious.

Unless you are on XP 64-bit, it is not advisable to order this card. It was 3gigabytes of video memory and XP will not address the rest of your system memory(It can address 4 across everything).

I hope you are just joking.

campdude

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008

I wasnt joking... i didnt know there was an error in having 3 gigs of video ram?

so looks like i should purchase a GTX 580 1.5 gigs? they have a 3 gig version that does have xp drivers.

I thought the system would page to allocate some of that stuff.

you can page as much as you want.
oh yes i do have windows xp 32-bit... too many games installed to delete and start a new operating system.

If your games are on Steam, you can do a backup and restore, but will need to get your save games for any that do not have Steam Cloud.

Ok, well unless you need a card with very high vram(pushing more then 1920 x 1200), it may be something to watch out for.

In general 32 bit XP can address 4 GB of memory. This includes the memory on your video card.

Most users end up having trouble to get XP to see much over 3.25 or so(highest i got was 3.62). This is due to other memory addressing done by windows. You can page all you need still. but it is much slower then having more free memory.

That becomes an issue when you push a video card with so much memory

This system had 4gigabytes of memory and a 4mb video card. The average for even a 1gigabyte card should be close to 4 gigabytes.
38081570he2.gif

campdude

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
I just got word back from an e-mail that in two weeks the next version of the catalyst drivers "should" support xp.

I do not have slow paging on my computer because i have my pagefile on a ram drive.
(i have over 4 gigs of ram)

Looks like i might get this card if they do release the xp drivers which is looking more brighter than i thought.

A reason to stay with XP is because it has true DX 9 mode pure.
FarCry 2 actually has reduced foilage in the DX 9 version of Windows 7. The only reason its faster in Windows 7 is because again the reduced foilage in windows 7/DX9 or DX 10.

The only reason i know this first hand is because i ran FarCry 2 in both Win 7 and Win XP and compared them. I have both im not that backwards.. i just want both my operating systems to work. I also am avoiding installing older games on Windows 7 so that the Windows 8 upgrade will be more seamless.

---------------------------------------

Quote: from AMD:

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200468586]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

The installation CD the card comes with may have an XP driver, the next driver release from AMD, out in a week or two, should also support the HD7xxx cards in XP. They tend to ignore XP when they release the hotfix driver between official releases.

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
do any of youguys know if a asus maximus iv extreme edition will run a 7970 in CX 2 cards alot of pple are telling me it will others are telling me it wont

campdude

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008

Quote Link http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maximus_IV_Extreme/

Maximus IV Extreme

REV 3.0 - New P67 B3 Revision
The Best Overclocking Experience on Intel P67 with ROG Motherboard

Multi-GPU Technology

SLI/CrossFireX On-Demand

Why choose when you can have both?
SLI or CrossFireX? Fret no longer because with the ROG Maximus IV Extreme, you´ll be able to run both multi-GPU setups. The board features SLI/CrossFireX on Demand technology, supporting SLI or CrossFireX configuration. Whichever path you take, you can be assured of jaw-dropping graphics at a level previously unseen

Having the page file on a ram drive is good. This will allow windows to unload things to let your programs/games use ram better(without the massive slowdowns). My only worry is about a game that needs more then the 1gig(that should be the max memory windows will have access to) of addressable space you will have left.

I would be interested in your results when/if you get one of those cards(pm me if you go this route).

Personally I would get the fastest 1GB card I can, since most games will not need any more. You still get the advantage of your ram drive, but get more ram to run your programs.