Whos got news about DDR MB`s and chipsets

RamaV

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hola, Ive been not so patiently waiting to upgrade alot on my system. For me, ive been waiting for DDR SDRAM capable MB`s for at least 8 months, and now that they are finally begining to trickle out, can we share thoughts on whats up. I have yet to hear of any tests done on anything..i hope someone at Toms hears me say that, because id love to hear what they think about the 2 chipsets ive heard about so far, and the few MBs coming out. Although im anxious to UG, i do prefer pretty stable MBs, i love my P2BF and its gonna take somethin nice to make me finally switch out.

To start ill share links to what ive seen around so far:

About the new Iwill MB: http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/articles/iwill_ka266r/

About the Tyan chipset/MB: http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/articles/tyan_760_ddr/

Link to Iwill: http://www.iwillusa.com/home/home.asp
First thing i read about the ALI Chipset: http://techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20000714S0013

Link to ALI site about its chipset: http://www.acerlabs.com/eng/product/core/amagik1.htm

I heard someone mention a new Asus DDR MB, well i havent been able to find out boo about it. If anyone can let me know where and what theyve heard about any MBs and chipsets that are coming out, id sure appreciate it.
And lets hope someone at Toms read this and starts putting out some reviews and first looks.

mpjesse

Splendid
All i know is that the only available DDR chipset is the AMD 760. So far, it's all i've been able to find on boards. I just purchased one and 128megs of DDR. I'll let you know how it performs.

-MP Jesse

G

Where did you buy the board and the DDR? I can't find either one anywhere.

G

visit www.crucial.com/store/ddrlistmodule.asp for the DDR

and search for "AMD 760" @ www.pricewatch.com for DDR MoBo dealers

I ordered a duron/256mb DDR/Giga-Byte 7DX and will post some benchmarks as soon as I get all the parts in

G

What does "release" really mean?:

Tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, after xxxx recalls, after xxxx glitches being fixed ...

Remember Matrox G400, Intel Pentium III 1G, DDR systems now etc.

I think a new word should be invented for hardware.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by visade on 11/24/00 11:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

RamaV

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
...I figured id start this thread again.... so that we all could see what was said before, and so that i could see who has heard what new news. One thing i know ive been reading about and waiting to hear more on is this issue about the FSB for AMD chips not being compatible with the multipliers used on the DDR boards. Anyone know how this is being addressed..? Ive heard some talk that AMD may release new versions of there top models with the better FSB speed.
Any new news about this or anything else pertaining to new DDR boards out there greatly appreciated~!! Links, comments, throw it all up here~!

Rama

" He who (BLEEPS) nuns, will later join the church " Joe Strummer, The Clash - "Death or Glory"

lrmv

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't think it's not a good idea to buy a DDR motherboard when they're just released. You might become a beta-tester...

RamaV

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Figured id post up again and seeif there is anythign new. No sense losing all this info.
So....anything new...? Any new models or new news..?

Rama

" He who (BLEEPS) nuns, will later join the church " Joe Strummer, The Clash - "Death or Glory"

G

Have you considered a KT133A based upgrade? These boards are shipping now; they have shown good performance (within 5% or so of AMD760); faster than ALIMagic; use cheaper sdram. You did not sya what you were upgrading from. Also, there are a slew of new memory technologies in development now. DDR is just the next logical development, but in my opinion it is not that great a leap. This is just my opinion.

ABIT KT7A Raid; 1ghz T-bird; 256 MB CAS 2 Ram; VisionTek G-force 2 GTS 32 Mb DDR; SBL Plat 5.1

G

ok from where i live there was newspaper ads at a local store chain that actually sold ddr mb's. it was an iwill mobo that supported ddr and sdr. if i'm correct, that one doesn't use the amd760. how in the world did that board come out before the amd760??

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Have you read "The Three Musketeers" article found on the opening page of tomshardware? It give benchmarks of two DDR boards and a SD board. The ALi MaGik1-Iwill KA266 chipset board sucks bigtime but the MS-6341 K7 Master from MSI was a winner from my viewpoint. The Asus A7V133 with Apollo KT133A was also included and wasn't very far behind. If you dont have much cash you might want to go with that and some PC133 CAS2 memory. I for one am most likely getting the MSI board but a lot can change between now and April when I build. Go to the link below and read it for yourself and make your own decision.

http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q1/010104/index.html

Hope this helps you some.

G

about the fsb on the GA-7DX mobo's, Ive read that only rev. 3.0 will support the 266DDR memory. Any revision below that becomes unstable at between 110-120 MHz fsb. This really sucks because I got a rev. 2.2 board thinking that it would support up too a 133 bus and it dosent. This info is also posted at AMDs website.

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
I haven't seen anywhere that the KT133A outperforms the ALI Magik. In fact, THG's review ("the three musketeers") showed that the Ali Magik was slightly faster, and AMD760 faster still. Whether it is or is not worth the cost is a more personal question. Certainly, the raw numbers of it, though, are not as you have stated.

Would certainly be interested in a URL to show us more on this.

G

Same here.
I got the Gigabyte 7DX with PC 2100 thinking it could run it. I talked to gigabyte and they told me that it will only run it at like if it were a PC1600.
That really sucks. Kinda wish i waited for the Asus to come out. But I had been waiting for DDR since Christmass and could not wait any longer.
However I am still very happy with it. It has turned in good benchmarks. ( one I could remeber off hand is 3dWinBench got a 8960, that was the first benchmark I ran the first couple of days I had it)