Who's Who In Power Supplies, 2014: Brands Vs. Manufacturers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaise170

Honorable

Western society... It was originally a descriptor for Europe, and since Europeans settled the Americas, it has come to mean both North America and Europe...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_culture

Spoonguard

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
Some of the Table Images in the article are broken, what gives? It looks like an extremely misguided way to save bandwidth.

Thank you.
I've literally never known it to be used to refer strictly to geography.

Regardless, my point is the Chinese make crap but can get away with it, so they do. Western companies, if nothing else, work in stores that offer return policies, and generally the companies themselves will do right by a reasonable consumer. Sure, some people get screwed, but it's not listed as Monday's objective metric like it is from Chinese companies.

If nothing else, it's a power supplies thread, so take this warning: ThermalTake is crap. Utter crap. Not even 3 months and my younger brother's PSU was popping.

Blaise170

Honorable

You do realize that most of power supply OEMs are Chinese right? Seasonic, Superflower, etc. Also ThermalTake have good PSUs too, namely their several series of Tough Power PSUs.

And I buy none of them :)

Give me Corsair any day.

Azar Javed

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
I know this has already been mentioned, but I'd like to bring this up again: Some of the images in the review are downscaled to an unreadable level now, effectively making the information contained in them unavailable.

I'm still relying heavily on this article, so that's just very bad. Please provide the original images again (or do this with tables+text or CSS+text the next time, so everything becomes searchable as well?)

I'll go and check the wayback machine next, maybe they'll still have the old pix... :(

Blaise170

Honorable

Erm, Corsair uses Seasonic and CWT for almost all of their units, both of which are headquartered in Taiwan. Their AX1500i is the only one I know of that isn't Taiwanese, being made by Flextronics.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
It took me more time to research my current rigs PSU than it did all the other components combined. I went with a Corsair AX650.
To this day my favorite hardware review was on a 900w PSU for $5 on Newegg. Curious on why it was $5 I took a look to see only 2 reviews. Both their PSUs caught fire within minutes of being turned on.

I think it's definitely time for another refresh. There have been an extraordinary number of OEM changes across the board and almost none of what's listed here is still relevant, aside from very old units. This is an essential resource and I think keeping it relevant should be a priority.

Joker41NAM

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
Did something happen to this list? The first two screens of PSU Makers (0-B & C-D) are tiny pictures, rather than readable charts.

Yes, the site has been doing that again lately on some articles with images. Hopefully they address it. The data here is so out of date by now anyhow, with all the OEM changes that have happened and new models being released over the last year and a half, that it almost doesn't matter anyhow. You can find much of the most common OEM data here:

http://www.orionpsudb.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.