[SOLVED] Why am I getting a "PC needs to be restarted" notification upon booting my Surface 3 ?

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am using a Microsoft Surface 3 and recently, for some reason, I've been getting a notification upon each boot that says "Your PC needs to be restarted to finish setting up this device: Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller". Clicking on it does nothing.

Windows is up to date. I'm using Windows 10 Home x64. Windows Update does not currently state that there is a need for a restart.

When looking at said device in Device Manager, it states that it is functioning properly and that it has no driver updates. In the Events tab, though, it says "Device PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_2B38&SUBSYS_045E0002&REV_00\4&38419195&0&00E0 requires further installation."

It says this 3 times, less than a minute from each other, all on the date 08/16/2021. Why the Windows notification is suddenly appearing a month and a half later I have no idea.

My Wi-Fi is working fine- I'm using the Surface 3 to type this right now.
Any input as to why this is happening?

The only thing not normal on this device physically is a crack in the corner causing the touchscreen to not work. Therefore I've been using the tablet as a netbook for years. But that is probably not related. It has 128GB of eMMC storage, 4 GB of RAM, and an Intel Atom x7-Z8700 CPU.

Solution
The notification means to state that drivers were updated(reinstalled) by the OS and the OS needs rebooting for the update/change to take affect. As for your OS, what version(not edition) are you on? Maybe see if you can download the driver manually for your wireless adapter, uninstall it from Device Manager and reinstall it manually in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, see if that helps.

Lutfij

Titan
The notification means to state that drivers were updated(reinstalled) by the OS and the OS needs rebooting for the update/change to take affect. As for your OS, what version(not edition) are you on? Maybe see if you can download the driver manually for your wireless adapter, uninstall it from Device Manager and reinstall it manually in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, see if that helps.

Solution

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
Sorry for the delayed reply- I wanted to see if that would work, and it did so far. I'll post again if it comes up again. I don't think it was coming up on every boot, so it's hard to tell. Thanks!