[SOLVED] Why are games running at extremely low FPS after reset?

Nov 2, 2020
Howdy, I reset my laptop (Alienware 17 R4) after having it for four years. I have a GTX 1070 and then Integrated Graphics 630, I have an I7700, and 16 gbs of RAM. Before I reset my computer I could run most games at 60+ fps, but now every game I play I only get 5-10. Does anybody have any ideas? I have looked it up, nothing works, talked to multiple people, no clue on what is wrong. I really could use some help, thanks.

Solution
After reset, do you know if gtx drivers were removed and now using generic graphics drivers and or defaulting to igpu instead?

Head to Geforce.com and search for driver relating to your laptop's gpu model and OS. Install once downloaded.

After that make sure you have Nvidia control panel. Can get this from MS store if on Win10. In control panel, there you can set whichever game to prioritise the graphics card under program settings.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
After reset, do you know if gtx drivers were removed and now using generic graphics drivers and or defaulting to igpu instead?

Head to Geforce.com and search for driver relating to your laptop's gpu model and OS. Install once downloaded.

After that make sure you have Nvidia control panel. Can get this from MS store if on Win10. In control panel, there you can set whichever game to prioritise the graphics card under program settings.

Solution
Nov 2, 2020

That is what my friends thought was happening, and it wasn't using my 1070, but I ran a test and the first time it wasn't using my 1070 and I got about 20 fps and the second time I used it, I got about 250, so it seemed to be selecting my 1070, and it was working fine. I have used the Nvidia Control Panel before and that is how I selected it to use my 1070, and I have it set to use my 1070 for games, but it might not be selecting it when I play games.

That is what my friends thought was happening, and it wasn't using my 1070, but I ran a test and the first time it wasn't using my 1070 and I got about 20 fps and the second time I used it, I got about 250, so it seemed to be selecting my 1070, and it was working fine. I have used the Nvidia Control Panel before and that is how I selected it to use my 1070, and I have it set to use my 1070 for games, but it might not be selecting it when I play games.

This is a bit confusing, is it working now or not? You said the second time you used it you got higher FPS and it was working fine.

For laptops you want to use the laptop drivers whenever possible, if you update to the nVidia reference drivers or Windows drivers it can cause issues. If that does happen, download the Intel and nVidia drivers from the laptop support site, remove the existing Intel and nVidia drivers, run DDU to wipe them, then run the Intel drivers and after that the nVidia drivers you downloaded.

Nov 2, 2020
This is a bit confusing, is it working now or not? You said the second time you used it you got higher FPS and it was working fine.

For laptops you want to use the laptop drivers whenever possible, if you update to the nVidia reference drivers or Windows drivers it can cause issues. If that does happen, download the Intel and nVidia drivers from the laptop support site, remove the existing Intel and nVidia drivers, run DDU to wipe them, then run the Intel drivers and after that the nVidia drivers you downloaded.
After selecting my 1070 the test ran fine with 250+ fps, but whenever I play a game, I get less than 10. I will try to do that when I get home, and I will let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Nov 2, 2020

Holy cow man, I just got home, and I was able to do what you and the other person said, and my games run perfect now. Thank you so much! Have a good rest of your day/night.

Nov 2, 2020

Thanks man, I was able to do what you and the other person said and my games run great now! Have a great rest of your day/night.

TRENDING THREADS