Why Are Lenovo And Razer Teaming Up On Gaming? (Spoiler: Maybe VR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
The big problem will be the outrages price Razer puts on their product, coupled with their signature woeful quality.
Your not going to want to be an early adopter of VR. It's definitely going to be a VHS v Beta type situation again. You will buy one type and might just end up with a selection of games smaller than Mac. Time to sit back and join the winner in a few years.

Rob-G

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
Uglyduckling81 I would have to disagree completely with your assessment of Razer's products. Yes, they are a little pricey, but you do get what you pay for. I have several gaming peripherals made by Razer as well as their gaming Tablet (Razer Edge Pro) from 2013 which is now almost 3 years old (and up until this year there has not been a higher performing tablet on the market period, and the only one with better stats today is almost twice the price I paid!). I have never once had anything made by Razer fail for any reason especially poor quality or design. Razer has a niche which is gamers who value cutting edge equipment to keep them competitive, and at the same time the portability to take that equipment on the road. Have you ever lugged around a 12 pound gaming laptop on a road trip? Those things are monsters!! They don't feel that heavy when you first pick them up, but pack them through an airport, or in and out of several hotels and you'll quickly discover they are only slightly more portable than their desktop counterparts. Contrast that with the Razer Blade Pro which looks amazing (Alienware is copying their styling now I've noticed), has way better gaming functionality when it comes to keyboard and user interface, and weighs only 6 pounds (HALF of what the other companies' versions weigh)!! Add to that the fact that they are very slim (no thicker than a dime standing up!) so they don't take up your whole backpack or suitcase! And if you ever used Razer's keyboards or mice, you'd probably never go back (I know I won't!).

So in summary, if you are on a tight budget and need something highly upgradable for cheap, you can get by without all the fancy styling because you have no friends to impress, and you are a hermit and you never go anywhere with thoughts of being able to play video games, then you are correct: Razer is not the company for you. If, however, you are like me and you travel a lot, you like the extra stuff that gives you a slight unfair advantage over the people you game with, you enjoy gamer styling so the look of your rig is that finishing touch that completes the package, and you HATE being stuck with nothing to do while traveling, there really is no better company than Razer for your computer gear. As for the quality, I've NEVER had a single piece of Razer gear break on me EVER, and it ALWAYS works right. (And that's more than I can say for any other tech company's equipment I've used!)

James_130

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015
My Parents bought my son a touch screen Lenovo PC. We were going to spend the extra money and by an Apple.
We did not. The Lenovo hard drive has crapped out once and we also had a problem with the touch screen.
Would never by another Lenovo again. Poor quality...

My Parents bought my son a touch screen Lenovo PC. We were going to spend the extra money and by an Apple.
We did not. The Lenovo hard drive has crapped out once and we also had a problem with the touch screen.
Would never by another Lenovo again. Poor quality...
I disagree with you. Every lenovo product i have used has been solid with the odd psu or hdd failure which is expected frafter they have been in the field for a few years in dusty offices. And rather than one single sample you are basing your opinion on, i have seen fleets of 100's of lenovo pc's and laptops. Apple uses the same HDD's as any other manufacturer, normally western digital, hitachi or seagate. Cant say i have had experience with touch screen models, bud i'd never buy one as touch screens are useless on a PC anyway.
I wonder if you bought the more expensive Apple product, and the hdd died, and the graphics chip burnt out, as they tend to do, would you hate all Apple products?

+1 ugly, I have had many problems with my Ouroboros. Also, it is general knowledge that the key switches they use in their keyboards are quite poor. They used to use MX ones which were the good ol' days but instead they opted for their own which do not come near the quality of Cherry switches. Don't even try arguing with me that is a statistical fact. My mouse on the other hand was my first Razer product so I can't judge an entire companies quality on just that as DOAs and other things do happen. That being said, I have never been satisfied with any of my mouse purchases as they always end up being wobbly or having extremely faulty sensors/drivers..

+1 ugly, I have had many problems with my Ouroboros. Also, it is general knowledge that the key switches they use in their keyboards are quite poor. They used to use MX ones which were the good ol' days but instead they opted for their own which do not come near the quality of Cherry switches. Don't even try arguing with me that is a statistical fact. My mouse on the other hand was my first Razer product so I can't judge an entire companies quality on just that as DOAs and other things do happen. That being said, I have never been satisfied with any of my mouse purchases as they always end up being wobbly or having extremely faulty sensors/drivers..

Scar89

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
3/3 Razer products defective for me. Razer Copperhead-clicker died after only 1 1/2 yrs. Razer Lachesis- Defective tracking engine that cause the cursor to go crazy on the screen unlit a re-plug. Razer Lycosa- Keys would randomly get stuck (not physically) and then stop working taking a few others with it until a re-plug, build quality also very cheap for the price.

Maybe Lenovo can raise the build quality and Razer can make sure there's no inbuilt spyware?

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
I don't think this has anything to do with VR. I think it has to do with the fact that Razer will endorse anything for money (See the NZXT Razer cobranded cases) and Lenovo will try anything they think might interest people. It's always been their strategy, that's why they sell so many lines and brands of everything.

emccalment

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2012
Individual experience will vary. Someone bought their son a computer and had issues with the drive and screen. I have a Thinkpad X200 from Summer 2009 that I still use daily. Approaching 7 years old and by no means slow, when it's time to replace it, I'll definitely be looking at Lenovo.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Razer Mamba 2012 I had to keep plugged in as the battery had such a short life after only a few months of use. Also the cursor used to drift all over the place of it's own accord. It was such a piece of crap. Went back to Logitech and couldn't be happier.
Razer Megaladon headset died within 6 months of owning it.
2 of Razer's most expensive products both PoS honestly. I'll never touch a garbage Razer product again.

Status
Not open for further replies.