[SOLVED] Why are my displays not turning on but my computer, mouse, and keyboard continue to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 7, 2020
I was doing work on my computer when both of my displays simultaneously turned off, but the computer kept running. I shut off my computer and turned it back on but the displays would not turn back on. These are the things I've tried so far.
  1. Remove and put RAM back
  2. Take out CMOS battery for 5 minutes and put it back in
  3. Take out GPU and put it back in
  4. Try turning on the computer without the keyboard or mouse plugged in
None of these have yielded any results, and I know it is not the monitors or connections to the monitor that are broken because I tested them with my laptop and the dual setup worked.To add more context, I recently upgraded my computer to a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM, and just installed them. My GPU, PSU, and SSD are all the same as when I built the PC three years ago.

The computer was working okay for one day until this incident occurred, but during the first hours of installing the new parts, the computer sometimes restarted on its own when it was idle. This bothered me so I looked into it and thought it might be the CPU overheating, but the temps tended to stay within 50 degrees Celcius and the CPU voltage was around 1.3 V. So I assumed that it was restarting on its own to install updates or something. The next day, when I used the PC, it never restarted on its own, so I thought I had installed the new parts correctly, and then the displays suddenly cut out. I don't know if the self-restarts have anything to do with the displays cutting out, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

These are my specs:
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Max Wifi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 32GB x 2
PSU: EVGA 750 Watt Bronze Power Supply
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB

Please let me know if there are any other tests I should try. Right now I am thinking it might be either the motherboard, GPU, or PSU, but am leaning more towards PSU because of the restarts and display cut out. However, I am not very sure and would welcome any and all suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
I tried a new PSU but it still has no output. I tried to connect the HDMI to the on-board connection to the motherboard, but the display still did not come on. At this point, I have a new PSU, CPU, Motherboard, and RAM. The only thing I haven't replaced is the GPU, but I don't know if it's that because the on-board connection did not do anything either.
you don't have igpu so the onboard connection will not work.

so that mean the gpu
Dec 7, 2020
I tried a new PSU but it still has no output. I tried to connect the HDMI to the on-board connection to the motherboard, but the display still did not come on. At this point, I have a new PSU, CPU, Motherboard, and RAM. The only thing I haven't replaced is the GPU, but I don't know if it's that because the on-board connection did not do anything either.

Dec 7, 2020
Also, I don't know if this helps, but at one point, with the old PSU and new Motherboard, the BIOS popped up. So I restarted it to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and sure enough, it was and there hasn't been a display since

rgd1101

Don't
you don't have igpu so the onboard connection will not work.

so that mean the gpu

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.