[SOLVED] Why are my temperatures still high?

jessedays

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
I just installed the h100i platinum for my ryzen 5 3600 and my Idle temps go from 40-60c and gaming goes to 60-80.

I don't understand what the issue is, my full setup
Ryzen 5 3600
b450m gaming plus
2070 super
3200 16gb ram

I tested the stock cooler which got to 85 max

Then I tried the 212 hyper evo and still got high temps.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen behaves differently from Intel cpus and even it's older gen Ryzen cousins. 'High' idle temps are normal on these chips.
What you are seeing is the cpu boosting on 1 or 2 cores VS across all cores like Intel does.

That cpu will automatically boost as high as it can - to an extent - depending on temps.
Very similar to Nvidia's 10, 16, and 20 series gpus in that sense. Even though you are getting very similar temps across those coolers, the boost clocks should be different.

Intel's cpus don't prioritize temps like Ryzen 3000 does. Those will run at their max boost clocks regardless of temps.
A 9700K will run 4.6ghz across all of it's cores even if it's running at 97C of 100C.

Reactions: jessedays
Apr 18, 2019
use ryzen master to monitor cpu temps on ryzen, the other softwares have issues. when mounting the cpu cooler make sure to use good quality thermal paste (arctic, ic diamond, or thermal grizzly pastes are all great) also dont be shy with your application, too much is almost never a problem but too little can be (i mean dont mound it because that just makes a mess)

Ryzen behaves differently from Intel cpus and even it's older gen Ryzen cousins. 'High' idle temps are normal on these chips.
What you are seeing is the cpu boosting on 1 or 2 cores VS across all cores like Intel does.
I am aware that Ryzen runs a little bit warmer than Intel on idle.
I have built dozens of Ryzen 1st, 2nd & 3rd gen and none of the reach 60°C on idle...not even 45°C with the included AMD cooler.
I have used both liquid and air (Scythe Mugen 5, Stock cooler, Corsair H100i & 212 Hyper evo).

jessedays

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
I am aware that Ryzen runs a little bit warmer than Intel on idle.
I have built dozens of Ryzen 1st, 2nd & 3rd gen and none of the reach 60°C on idle...not even 45°C with the included AMD cooler.
I have used both liquid and air (Scythe Mugen 5, Stock cooler, Corsair H100i & 212 Hyper evo).

I'm going to try and change the motherboard see if that helps

I'm going to try and change the motherboard see if that helps
I would do the same, since that type of issues could get worse as time passes.
Since your first post, I have been closely monitoring two Ryzen builds with Ryzen Master (1st & 3rd Gen).
They, from time to time, might jump from 26°C to 39°C (liquid) & 31°C to 42°C (air) but they both got down in a flash. That happens just browsing the Web and playing Youtube videos. The room temp is 21°C (70°F ).
If I do nothing and close all open apps they both go up by as much as 1 degree.

Sometimes you might think your PC is idle but Windows or your Antivirus could be performing background tasks that could raise your system temps by 5-15°C.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What is your case?
Fan setup?

@jojesa
That was not aimed at you.
There's more to idle and load temps than software. The case and airflow matter too.

I think it's a little early to suggest changing the motherboard when we don't know the OP's case and fan setup; you clearly have more experience building systems than they do.

Last edited:
@jojesa
I think it's a little early to suggest changing the motherboard when we don't know the OP's case and fan setup; you clearly have more experience building systems than they do.

You might have a point.
I just build a Ryzen system and my temperatures were higher that what I consider normal.
In my case it has to do with the AMD Ryzen chipset drivers.

If I use an early version (1.11.22.0454) of the AMD Ryzen chipset drivers the temps are OK.
If I use that latest AMD Ryzen chipset drivers version the temps were way high (46-53°C. ) on idle at times for no apparent reason.

But, if that's not the issue of the OP then I stand by swapping the motherboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88