Why can't I find computers on new network router?

gr8designr

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
I have two PCs running Windows 7 Premium. I recently turned in my xfinity cable modem and bought a stand-alone Motorola/Arris SB6121 cable modem and netgear R6400 router. The computers and printer are hard-wired to the router. Before changing hardware, I had no problem with finding all computers and printers on the network. Now, the networking doesn't work. I've tried all the suggestions in windows network troubleshooting, but still can't get the devices to 'see' each other.
Both LAN connected computers are able to connect to the internet, additional Windows tablet (Windows 8.1), ASUS laptop (Windows 10) and SmartTV (on 5gig channel) run well with wireless connection to the R6400.
I can furnish other gear information if needed. If someone has any thoughts on this situation, please reply.
Thanks!

Solution
ipconfig /all should run the same on Windows 10. You just need to open the command/Powershell window and have the appropriate administrative rights.

Your third link results seemed to be cut off - only the last couple of sections were presented.

Did not note anything astray in the ipconfigs that were intact. Are you using IPv6? Easy to check via test-ipv6.com (just something good to know).

How are you accessing the router (R6400) configuration screens? Are you using one of the URL's per the user's manual: e.g., http://www.routerlogin.net? Or do you use an IP address directly? Hopefully 192.168.1.1 via your browser.

What network name does the router show? (Default name is R6400).

Here is the link to the R6400 user manual...

Ralston18

Titan
gr,

What troubleshooting suggestions did you try? May help avoid some future duplication....

Double check the cable modem and router configurations via your browser and the respective admin screens - look for a typo somewhere.

Did you run ipconfig /all from the command prompt on any of your devices? If not, please do so and post the results. One set of results from a wired device and one from a wireless device.

The objective is to find out what the devices all "believe"about your network configuration versus what you have set up or otherwise expect.

gr8designr

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015

gr8designr

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Ralston,
About the troubleshooting suggestions, I tried the usual suspects: rebooted the router, open sharing to be sure everyone is included, made sure I was 'joined' to our Homegroup. I hope this helps in narrowing down the problem.

Thanks again,
gr8

Folks tend to get stuck when you can't "see" the other machines, but often time you can still access it, without "seeing" it. Try on your browser \\hostname\sharedName. Where hostname=the machine name you want to talk to, shareName=the share resource you named it as.

Ralston18

Titan
ipconfig /all should run the same on Windows 10. You just need to open the command/Powershell window and have the appropriate administrative rights.

Your third link results seemed to be cut off - only the last couple of sections were presented.

Did not note anything astray in the ipconfigs that were intact. Are you using IPv6? Easy to check via test-ipv6.com (just something good to know).

How are you accessing the router (R6400) configuration screens? Are you using one of the URL's per the user's manual: e.g., http://www.routerlogin.net? Or do you use an IP address directly? Hopefully 192.168.1.1 via your browser.

What network name does the router show? (Default name is R6400).

Here is the link to the R6400 user manual....

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6400/R6400_UM_07Aug2015.pdf

Specfically (per Page 110, "Change the LAN TCP/IP Settings", check that the settings are as indicated or are actually changed to what you intended if you changed them. Make sure that "Use Router as DHCP Server" is checked.

Overall, I think you are just dealing with a misconfiguration - probably something that the "Genie" did or did not do. Maybe a typo....

Worst case, for now, is that you may simply have to reset the router to factory settings and carefully work though a manual setup instead of letting the Genie do it.

Solution

gr8designr

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Hi Ralston,
I was able to run ipconfig / all on my Windows 10 machine, and the results don't look any different than the other two. The links I supplied were for two PCs. One had some many lines that I did a page 1 and page 2, which is probably why it looks as if the results are cut off. Consider the acer results (pg1, pg2) as one.
I'm accessing the router through 192.168.1.1, not the netgear login page. The default name is R6400. Thanks for sending the link to the manual. I checked all the settings and the Use Router as DHCP Server box is checked. The rest of the week is pretty busy, so I'll have to try resetting the router next week, and will report any findings.

I've chosen your posts as a solution to my problems, even though they're not completely resolved. You've been a great help at my trying to understand the situation.

Many thanks!