[SOLVED] why cant my pc run games smoothly?

Jul 31, 2019
Okay so basically my pc doesn't run games such as PUBG or even borderlands 2 at a consistent 60fps smoothly at all, there's a lot of fps fluctuation and I'm wondering whether its a hardware issue and I need to upgrade or could it be something else?

I have spent hours going through the many steps I've found online to improve performance in games; updated windows, updated graphics driver, updated BIOS(in case of memory leak), ran Disk clean, basically everything

I also noticed in the task manager performance tab that the cached memory was quite high(around 6gb) so I created an action to clear it every 5 minutes but it steal reaches over 2gb in that time?

nothing has worked much.

here is a list of the components I am using:

-Z97 PC MATE 7850 MoBo
-Intel i5-4670k quad core 3.40GH
-Nvidia GeForce 1060 6gb
-Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
-Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD

please help

Solution
I think your games are cpu centric, primarily in single thread performance.
They do not depend on many threads.
Have you overclocked?
With a Z97 motherboard, there is some 25% cpu performance available.

Have you tried lowering the graphics settings?

Windows will keep unused code around in ram in anticipation of possible quick reuse.
A high cached content is actually a good thing, it says that the space is not needed for current use.
8gb is normally sufficient for gaming unless you are also multitasking.

If you have not done so, reduce the instrumentation that is turned on by windows 10 default.
Start with the privacy settings. Google will suggest more options.

hazey123

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2012
The High Precision Event Timer (HPET) is a hardware timer used in personal computers. It was developed jointly by AMD and Microsoft and has been incorporated in PC chipsets since circa 2005. Formerly referred to by Intel as a Multimedia Timer, the term HPET was selected to avoid confusion with the multimedia timers as a software feature introduced in the MultiMedia Extensions to Windows 3.0.
On the web, all posters say this will actually improve system latency and performance, though, every single person who tried to enable it experienced massive stuttering, slowness in applications and huge framerate drops.

In order to disable it, you need to do the following:
  • Disable Platform Clock in bcdedit
  • Disable Dynamic Tick in bcdedit
  • Disable HPET in BIOS settings
In some BIOSes, there's no need to disable HPET.
In order to do that, open an Administrator Command Prompt and type the following commands in order:
bcdedit /set useplatformclock No bcdedit /set disabledynamictick Yes
And reboot.
Note: disabledynamictick only works in Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and newer.

Then you may need to disable HPET in your BIOS. If you don't know how to do that, you may need to check out your motherboard instructions manual or on the web.

ryzengamer

Great
Mar 19, 2019
First of all, win10 is slow, buggy and a resource hog. No hardware is fast enough for windows. Wintel conspirary wants you to buy new hardware often. Win10 uses 1GB RAM after boot when Debian testing Xfce 350MB. The OS disk usage is a lot of smaller too. Borderlands 2 and many other games are available as native Linux versions. Thousands of windows games work fine with latest wine-staging and DXVK. Have a better gaming system with this:
https://wiki.debian.org/Steam
https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk

I think your games are cpu centric, primarily in single thread performance.
They do not depend on many threads.
Have you overclocked?
With a Z97 motherboard, there is some 25% cpu performance available.

Have you tried lowering the graphics settings?

Windows will keep unused code around in ram in anticipation of possible quick reuse.
A high cached content is actually a good thing, it says that the space is not needed for current use.
8gb is normally sufficient for gaming unless you are also multitasking.

If you have not done so, reduce the instrumentation that is turned on by windows 10 default.
Start with the privacy settings. Google will suggest more options.

Solution

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
First of all, win10 is slow, buggy and a resource hog. No hardware is fast enough for windows. Wintel conspirary wants you to buy new hardware often. Win10 uses 1GB RAM after boot when Debian testing Xfce 350MB. The OS disk usage is a lot of smaller too. Borderlands 2 and many other games are available as native Linux versions. Thousands of windows games work fine with latest wine-staging and DXVK. Have a better gaming system with this:
https://wiki.debian.org/Steam
https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk
Debian is a lightweight distribution of Linux. It doesn't matter if it uses 1GB of RAM after boot if you have even as little as 4GB of RAM. You're comparing apples to oranges when it comes to software support and the intended use case of gaming with this PC.

ryzengamer

Great
Mar 19, 2019
650MB more RAM for gaming matters when you have 4GB total RAM. Memory with win10 gets full sooner and if you have swapping enabled it slows down performance sooner. Older games run fine with Debian Xfce and with 4GB RAM without the swap file but new games need 8-16GB. You can tune many Linux distributions freely and optimize for gaming. No way to change the win10 desktop to a lighter and faster one or optimize whole OS for gaming like you can with Gentoo Linux.