Question Why do I get kicked off online games?

Nov 25, 2019
Why am I being disconnected from online games on a regular basis while my internet remains okay?

A bit of context -- I live in my garage-turned-bedroom so I live a bit away from my family's house. I've always ran on wifi with an extender and it's been doable, but I decided to buy a 50m ethernet cable to finally get the fast fiber speeds the rest of my family has had. While doing so, we also bought a new router, figuring we could make our wi-fi better throughout the house.

Now, ever since I've had a strange problem where I get booted out of online games every 2-3 hours, but everything else internet related I do remains solid; watching streams, Youtube, and whatever else. I seem to be the only one to have this problem, as my brother is also connected to the router through ethernet cable and he's doing just fine. So it seems to not be a problem with the router, so it must be on my end specifically, right?

Maybe the ethernet cable is broken somewhere, or maybe my PC is messing up? An interesting thing I've seen is that my ethernet connection is named after the extender I'm usually connected to through with wifi, but I wouldn't know if that's actually a problem. I've deactivated and removed my wifi card from my computer, but that didn't seem to work.

While I'm on the PC most of the time, I'm not super hardware or network savvy, so I'd gladly provide more information if any kind souls see this and want to help!

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Look in Reliability History for error codes and warnings that occur just before or at the time of any given disconnect.

What make and model router did your family get?

What ethernet cable did you purchase (what is printed along the length of the cable)?

How is the cable actually run: is it your PC direct to the router or did you leave the wifi extender in the path?

Make and model extender?

The router's logs, if available and enabled, may provide some clue as to what is happening.

Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person to troubleshoot the network.

Nov 25, 2019
I'll gladly include the hardware specs, but I just need to ask you what the optimal way to get it all is - to get the full picture!

And from what I can see from Reliability History the disconnects from the games don't show up at all.

The router is a NetGear NIGHTHAWK AC2300 WiFi Router Model R7000P

The ethernet cable says "LAN CABLE 24AWG/4PRS UTP ETL VERIFIED TO TIA/EIA-568 B.2 CAT6 FOR OUTDOOR". It's an outdoor ethernet cable going along one of the house's walls directly to the router from my PC, it has no connection to the extender.

Extender is a Netgear AC1200 Wireless Adapter

I am able to access the router logs, do you want me to post them? They don't make much sense to me.

Something I've noticed is that I tend to disconnect from games when I try to interact with something. In Final Fantasy 14's instance, when I try to cast a spell, it doesn't go off and everything goes still and I disconnect quickly after. But I'm able to log back in right away as if nothing had actually happened. Of course, this doesn't happen frequently, only between 2 to 3 hours at a time, but it's always (from what I can remember) when I've interacted with something.