Question Why do I have black screen after installing new CPU?

Dec 28, 2019
I recently just upgraded my CPU from a R5 1600 to a R7 2700x and I've been experiencing mouse stutters and and then get a black screen right after. I also end up getting a Video_Scheduler_internal_error message. I don't think it could be a gpu related issue as I have all drivers up to date and I even attempted to reinstall the drivers. I also re-installed my R5 1600 to see if it could be my gpu (Gigabyte RX5700 XT) but everything worked fine. I was able to run Modern warfare on high settings and GTA V on high-ultra settings. I'm beginning to think that it could just be a defective R7 processor but I've heard that CPUs are the least likely of all components to be defective.

Motherboard: MSI B350 tomahawk

Gpu: Gigabyte RX5700 XT

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x

PSU: EVGA 650Watt

Dec 28, 2019
I get the black screen shortly after I load into windows or sometimes I even get blue screen. I also just tried DDU to uninstall some possible corrupted drivers and as well as testing out my ram. Still nothing has worked. Starting to run out of ideas now ):

But I also just got a new error code not too long ago. Video_TDR_FAILURE

Dec 28, 2019
Ram wasn't the issue as I have already tried both ram sticks individually. And a Windows reset didn't work either ):

I'm getting a new R7 2700x CPU to see if it could be a defective or if it's something inside my PC that is causing the issue to persist. Will keep this forum updated on results when I get the new CPU installed.

Dec 28, 2019
I think I may have figured it out but not entirely sure yet. I had ryzen master on my pc but I believe some of the files were corrupted which were leading the software to falsely read cpu temps on a newly installed cpu thinking it was the older cpu. Once I deleted all files from ryzen master and any other type of software that reads temps everything started to work fine. Today I also attempted to install new ram from 2400mhz to 3000mhz and now the pc is having the same issues once again.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
3000MHz requires timings and voltage adjustments which XMP does. Can't simply change frequency to 3000. Is that what you're doing? Because on auto, especially for dram voltage, will be set at 1.2v. 3000MHz needs 1.35v. Besides voltage, as i said, timings also need to be set for the ram to run properly.

Dec 28, 2019
The timings for the ram are 15-17-17-35 and with 1.35V I used XMP and applied the timings and fixed the voltage but it seemed to make things worse. Artifacting and blue screen appeared.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Does it still bsod with old ram or new ram at default speed + new cpu?

Test new ram with memtest. Follow this guide;

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I would do a clean install of Windows (after backing up all important/personal files).
Then re-install all the latest MB and chipset drivers, just to be 100% sure there isn't some conflict stopping Windows from running properly with your new CPU.

Reactions: boju
Dec 28, 2019
Plugged in old CPU once again and added new ram and it worked perfectly fine. I didn't mind losing personal files on my pc as I didn't have anything too important on there so I decided to reset windows and delete all files completely but now it's been about 4 hours and it's still deleting i think? It's been stuck on the motherboard boot up screen with the windows dots going in a circle for the past 4 hours. Does that mean something went wrong or should I continue to wait?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Na try restart. Something has gone wrong if you got 4hrs of that.

If you're able to get back to Windows or have access to another computer which you can setup Win10 install media on to a usb stick, i suggest reinstall from scratch with the new processor in.

How to setup Win10 install media;