Question Why do people buy an aftermarket CPU cooling?

XSR

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
Hello,

I'm just trying to understand why do people buy an aftermarket CPU cooling for regular uses?
Is there a good reason to buy aftermarket like Freezer 34 eSport for Ryzen 3700X if I'm not overclocking?

I think it's doesn't matter if CPU hits 80C or 65C.

Thanks.

Last edited:

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
More effective and efficient cooling means lower temperatures, which is a desirable situation for any CPU/GPU.
If the CPU is running fairly cool all the time, even when under load, it could last longer, and will be less susceptible to any thermal throttling.
Additionally, it might reach its built-in turbo clocks more comfortably, enabling higher performance without the need for manual overclocking.
Less noise from high-spinning fans lowers the overall noise output of the computer, even when under load, facilitating a more pleasant computing experience.

In short, cool and silent is what you want.

kanewolf

Titan
Noise, performance or vanity. A 3700X might be noisy if using the stock cooler compared to a Noctua for example. An aftermarket cooler might allow more overclocking (even automatic overclocking). And aftermarket coolers can look better than stock.

In my case I changed the stock cooler of my Ryzen 5 3600 for 3 reasons, 1. poor performance/higher temp than I will like to see, 2. noise level, 3. Higher frcuency/better performance from the cpu itself.

Of course the stock cooler of a Ryzen 5 does not compare to the Ryzen 7 counterpart.

I have the Freezer 33 eSports and its awesome for its price, it can cool 210W. Get the dual fan version if the price difference is small.
Your CPU will be faster since it won't throttle and you can overclock for even more performance, there is also less noise. Installation and removal is also easier with the Freezer versus stock cooler. Stock cooler often gets stuck. I bent my CPU pins because of it but fixed them later.

Last edited:

XSR

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
More effective and efficient cooling means lower temperatures, which is a desirable situation for any CPU/GPU.
If the CPU is running fairly cool all the time, even when under load, it could last longer, and will be less susceptible to any thermal throttling.
Additionally, it might reach its built-in turbo clocks more comfortably, enabling higher performance without the need for manual overclocking.
Less noise from high-spinning fans lowers the overall noise output of the computer, even when under load, facilitating a more pleasant computing experience.

In short, cool and silent is what you want.

So is it bad if my CPU hits 78-80C and should I try to keep it on 60-70C?
Does heat will damage CPU and affect on the lifespan of the CPU?

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
To answer your question, no, it's not bad...however...there's better....

Heat will not significantly damage your CPU or shorten its life...please don't be afraid of a little heat...they will shutdown and crash your computer before they will self-inflict any permanent damage...

Having said that...a better cooler is not necessary by any means...it's simply better...for quality of life of your CPU...also your GPU...

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
I recommend Noctua...whatever fits inside your case...
Heck, I've even used All-in-One liquid cooling on my 2600K to great results.
Air cooling is more elegant, functional, and simpler to maintain however...

What is the make and model of your case?

Jan 2, 2020
Nice post but heat is #1 killer of all hardware other than galvanic corrosion and acts of God. Been repairing systems since Sinclair zx80. Heat just burns stuff out or disconnects contacts and that kills stuff.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Galvanic corrosion from.......? I am assuming you are not meaning from a mixed metals cooling loop, but rather open air corrosion? I'll be honest - I've built, maintained and repaired hundreds of PCs over the course of my time and not sure I've ever witnessed galvanic corrosion in an open air environment.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

XSR

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
Nice post but heat is #1 killer of all hardware other than galvanic corrosion and acts of God. Been repairing systems since Sinclair zx80. Heat just burns stuff out or disconnects contacts and that kills stuff.

Modern CPUs sense the temperature and if it goes beyond certain point it starts to decrease the clock speed

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Hello,

I'm just trying to understand why do people buy an aftermarket CPU cooling for regular uses?
Is there a good reason to buy aftermarket like Freezer 34 eSport for Ryzen 3700X if I'm not overclocking?

Thanks.

Most of the time, overclocking. But there are a lot of people buying stuff that they don't even need or doesn't understand why they should buy it. So you can also say for ego and to boast pride of their cool machine.

Don't tell me water cooling is better. Yea just a little bit and it isn't ugly. But for regular usage and overclocking purposes, air coolers is usually enough.

EDIT: Some prefer silent that's why they buy new ones, my PC sounds like a jet taking off so it's pretty understandable reason.

Last edited:

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Hello,

Thanks.

Noise. And keeping the CPU in acceptable temperatures.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Looks and/or performance, whether audible or temp. The only underlying reason to replace an otherwise working cooler.

Not many replace a stock cooler with a stock cooler, as even on ebay, prices are close enough that there are aftermarket coolers that are cheaper and usually better looking or better performing or both.