Question Why does it take a longer time for an old modem to get ready when the temperature is low?

Matthew Wai

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2015
I had an old modem that had been used for 11 years since 2011. When the fourth indicator light comes on, that means Internet connection is available. Before 2020, the light came on soon after I turned on the modem. After 2020, when the room temperature was low, it took a longer time before the light came on. For example, on 2022-12-23 (i.e. yesterday), in the morning, when the temperature was 20.9 ℃, it took as long as 9 minutes and 23 seconds. In the afternoon, I got a new modem from the ISP. Today, when the temperature was 20.6 ℃, it took only 18 seconds for the new modem to get ready.

Does anyone know why it took a longer time for the old modem to get ready when the temperature was low? The lower the temperature was, the longer time it took. In summer, when the temperature was high, it took a much shorter time.

Matthew Wai

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2015
Newer one should be faster it’s newer and has new components
I started using the old one in 2011. During the first several years, it took no more than 20 seconds. The old one used to work as fast as the present one, i.e. the new one. Yesterday, when the temperature was 20.9 ℃, it took 9 minutes and 23 seconds. Early this year, when the temperature was 10.6 ℃, it took even more than half an hour.

D

Deleted member 14196

It’s old. What would you expect from a device that runs 24x7? Should it last forever? Is it temperature sensitive possibly these things wear out. I had a Comcast modem for a few years before it needed to be replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Matthew Wai

Matthew Wai

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2015
Is it temperature sensitive possibly these things wear out.
Do you mean temperature-sensitive parts possibly wore out, causing the modem to work slowly in low temperature?

Should it last forever?
There is no need to last forever, as the ISP will give me a new one without an additional charge.

What would you expect from a device that runs 24x7?
It never worked round the clock. I always turned it off when Internet connection was not needed.

D

Deleted member 14196

If it sounds like it’s just worn out tell them about it and they will probably replace it for you. And and as far as I know, you were supposed to leave them on all the time because they get updates and whatnot. you shouldn’t really be powering it off. that could be part of your problem.

Worst case it would use 7.5watts per hour. You would have to actually measure the usage it is likely much less. That is less than say a led nightlight.

Since it is causing you a issue to wait for it I would just leave it on all the time. Most equipment like that as long as it does not get real hot can run constantly.

TRENDING THREADS