Question Why does my computer crash (bsod) frequently, and then go for months without crashing?

Jun 20, 2019
I used to get interminable bsod crashes (Windows 10, HP laptop, Intel graphics driver and Nvidia graphics driver). I thought I had traced it to graphics drivers, so I uninstalled them, but they kept reinstalling, and there is apparently no way to turn that feature off (Windows 10 compulsory feature). The crashes continued, but they only seemed somewhat more frequent when the graphics drivers were present (I monitored this aspect, but not closely). They continued regardless.

Then I had about 6 months (2019, Jan to June) of no crashes. My life was pure bliss. Then suddenly, last week (June 2019), they started up again. I don't know the connection, but for the same 6 months, the graphics drivers did not forcibly reinstall themselves. I only had the Nvidia driver for those 6 months (I checked a few times, and never had to uninstall it).

The return of the bsod's coincided quite closely with my computer reinstalling the Intel driver forcibly. Before, 6 months no crash, I had no reinstalls; now, crashes returning, I have constant reinstalls. Again, the computer can crash regardless of the drivers, but it only crashes like this when the driver reinstall is operating.

I live in China, and get fewer crashes when back in Australia. I don't know if there could be some connection regarding the power supply (220V, 50HZ, AC) in China.

Jun 20, 2019
I always use it with the power plugged in, so running on mains in China. I don't recall any crashes in Australia, but it is too long ago, and I didn't note this aspect (it didn't occur to me at the time). I am logging this now for every crash.