[SOLVED] Why does my computer keep crashing ?

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Hello, I have had a reoccurring problem over the past year and I can’t diagnose the issue. Every month or so my computer starts to crash at random times , at first it happens slow. Maybe once a week and then it gradually starts to crash faster and faster until I can only be on it for a few minutes max. I figured it was dust , so I would clean my entire rig out and it would work for another month or two. But this time it is giving me problems. I’ve Tried everything I know how to do , I don’t have enough time to launch into safe mode to use windows repair . I’m thinking it might be my Ram or my power supply . And tips or advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

My specs are:
Msi 970 Gaming motherboard

Gtx 970 4gb Sc Edition

AMD Fx-8350 black edition

H100i Liquid Cooler

750 watt G2 Evega gold power supply

2 hyper x 8gb ram (x2)

4 fans : “cooling is not the issue , have checked several time the tempatures are all normal “

2tb Seagate hard drive

250gb Samsung solid state drive

Solution
Where did you get that mobo from? That honestly looks like spill residue from coffee or a coke. Or a capacitor has blown out and leaked, which would explain the crashes as voltages are no longer in spec.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with the time of the crashes.

Find time to launch into Safe Mode. If the computer has no issues with respect to some basic boot configuration it becomes relatively easy to methodically launch/start other apps one by one and note when the crashes start occurring.

Reactions: Jachin1224

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with the time of the crashes.

Find time to launch into Safe Mode. If the computer has no issues with respect to some basic boot configuration it becomes relatively easy to methodically launch/start other apps one by one and note when the crashes start occurring.

Yea I tried that, I can’t keep the pc running long enough to even check the logs. I figure it’s a hardware issue , I hope not but do you have any idea of what part I should be looking to replace?

Ralston18

Titan
Although a part may need to be replaced that is not certain without some sense of the root problem.

Double check that all cables and connections are fully and firmly in place. Reseat all cards and RAM.

As suggested above deactivate OC and try additional cooling.

Disconnect the 2TB HDD.

Minimize apps etc. that are being launched via Task Manager > Startup tab.

Safe Mode.

Objective being to achieve enough stability so you have time to get into the logs.

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Did you test with the case open or even better with a fan directed at the vrm's?

The ssd has the last firmware in stalled? Can check with Samsung Magician.
Yea , I did that too that’s why I’m fairly certain the temps arnt the problem unless it’s my cpu cooler giving out . I’ll check out Samsung magician thanks.

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
If you have any OC, try to deactivate the OC and set everything to stock (BIOS). Perhaps something went bananas after all these years.
Haven’t overclocked my pc everything has stayed at the stock settings except the fans below my radiator . I tried to get in the bios to mess around but it crashes before I can.

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Although a part may need to be replaced that is not certain without some sense of the root problem.

Double check that all cables and connections are fully and firmly in place. Reseat all cards and RAM.

As suggested above deactivate OC and try additional cooling.

Disconnect the 2TB HDD.

Minimize apps etc. that are being launched via Task Manager > Startup tab.

Safe Mode.

Objective being to achieve enough stability so you have time to get into the logs.
Okay thanks I’ll try that later today, I have nothing over clocked either . So I should try to get into task manager and stop the programs that are launching on startup and boot from my ssd?

Ralston18

Titan
Yes but do not do too much at once.

Try clearing CMOS as suggested by @Vic 40.

Then go into Task Manager and disable programs from Startup. Do not do so randomly.

Only disable programs that you recognize or, if necessary, can google to find out what the program is doing before you disable that program.

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019

Then go into Task Manager and disable programs from Startup. Do not do so randomly.

Only disable programs that you recognize or, if necessary, can google to find out what the program is doing before you disable that program.

the cmos reset button is on the motherboard correct? I haven’t done it before

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
For a clear cmos take the pc of the power,is take the power cable out of the wallsocket,then take out the motherboard battery for about 15min for best result and reinsert after that,can also push the power button on the case for about 30sec's as wel for best result.
Other thing you can do is to short the clear cmos Jumper called JBAT1 in the next foto for about 5sec,still need to take the pc of the power with tis method.

8Mbo5Gs.png

Reactions: Ralston18

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
For a clear cmos take the pc of the power,is take the power cable out of the wallsocket,then take out the motherboard battery for about 15min for best result and reinsert after that,can also push the power button on the case for about 30sec's as wel for best result.
Other thing you can do is to short the clear cmos Jumper called JBAT1 in the next foto for about 5sec,still need to take the pc of the power with tis method.

8Mbo5Gs.png
Holy , Seems like I’ll fk something up but I’ll try my best. Probably isn’t as hard as it looks thank you for the visual.

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Just take a small flathead screwdriver and push against the clip that holds the battery in,flips right out. Just remember which side needs to go up for when you have to put it back.;)

Or if you have a small jumper cap from an old motherboard (they usually don't come with it anymore) would that work great too.
Just take a small flathead screwdriver and push against the clip that holds the battery in,flips right out. Just remember which side needs to go up for when you have to put it back.;)

Or if you have a small jumper cap from an old motherboard (they usually don't come with it anymore) would that work great too.
Alright I took it out, I’ll wait 15 and the pop it back in thanks

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Me too, I’ll let you know 👍Putting the battery back in and I’ll try to get into task manager
Got into bios, but it still crashed . It did reset cmos but it still doesn’t work. My cpu temp was quite high tho I think, it was at 65c on bios. Do you think it’s the cooler? Or maybe my cpu is giving out?

Jachin1224

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
Yea it still chugs away. I gotta buy paste I guess and I’ll see if that works .
It is a high tempature but at the same time , would 65 degrees really be the root cause of the crashes when the maximum cpu tempture is
Yea it still chugs away. I gotta buy paste I guess and I’ll see if that works .
Even tho the temperature is high at 65, I still don’t understand why it would be crashing. The maximum tempature is over 100 so I don’t see how changing the paste will make a difference . Do you think that’s the main problem ?

TRENDING THREADS