why does my dvi cable not work

Jarrett_1

Honorable
Jul 16, 2016
When I connect my dvi cable to my motherboard from Monitor the screen works and all and I can play older games but then its not connected to my video card and i cant play games fast. If i connect it to my video card then the monitor screen wont work (the blue light will just stay orange). What could be wrong? The only way i get display is through my motherboard and im not using my vga cables

Solution
No shouldnt be. You can try updating the bios, but it should just work fine without needing to.

No you dont need to use the CD that came with the video card (you can download the drivers from the internet once its booted). Try the things I said.

Jarrett_1

Honorable
Jul 16, 2016
I tried unplugging it from the motherboard and putting it into the video card but then the monitor doesn't work. Im using an asus z170-a motherboard and radeon r9 380x video card. The monitor is a 21.5' asus

Jarrett_1

Honorable
Jul 16, 2016
I think the problem has something to do with how the video card is plugged in, I used some cables that came with the power supply called VGA are they the wrong ones to use? A pair did come with the video card but they don't look like they would fit

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yeah use the ones that come with the PSU, not the graphics card. Yeah the VGA ones are right, double check its connected both ends(if modular).

Try reseating the graphics card in the slot also, make sure its slotted in firmly.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
No shouldnt be. You can try updating the bios, but it should just work fine without needing to.

No you dont need to use the CD that came with the video card (you can download the drivers from the internet once its booted). Try the things I said.

Solution