Question Why Does My PC Keeps Rebooting Immediately After Installing New CPU?

Jan 19, 2022
Hello and thank you.
Based on advice from this post, I am upgrading my CPU. I thought I had updated the BIOS correctly, but when I booted up my PC with the Ryzen 7 3700x CPU installed, it instantly became stuck in a cycle of turning on and off. I have since removed it and reinstalled the original Ryzen 5 1400 I had installed.
I think I may have messed something up when installing updates to get my PC ready for a new CPU. I was following this guide from the ASRock website to update my Bios. But I did NOT read carefully enough as I will show. When I started I was at BIOS 1.90 I think. I installed each Bios version by downloading it onto a USB drive and installing from the bios with instant flash.

Here’s the order in which I updated things
BIOS v3.50
Installed AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.50.16.01_WHQL (I should have installed AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.10.20_NHDA here I think)
BIOS v5.10
BIOS v5.40 (the version I need to be at for my CPU)

When my PC started continually rebooting, I reread the instructions and realized I missed installing AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.10.20_NHDA, as well as AMD AGESA to 1.0.0.6. and AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.1 (these last two did not have links to download on the ASRock site)
What do I need to do now? Is it possible to revert the BIOS so I can hit the steps I missed? And importantly, on the ASRock site, it says “If you updated the BIOS before updating the AMD all in one driver, please refer to the Display recovery SOP to recover your system.” BUT when I click on Display recovery SOP it gives me a 404 error!
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

SPECS:
Motherboard: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac
Original CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 1400
CPU that makes my computer continually reboot: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x
RAM: CORSAIR - VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600

EDIT: Flashed to Bios v6.00 and the problem persists.

Last edited:
Start off by clearing your cmos settings by moving the jumper, unplug from the wall for about 20 minutes and move the jumper back into normal position
Look at your asrock manual for beep codes and pay special attention to the way how it beeps from cold boot/hard reset.
https://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=286

If all else fails, run the machine to a computer store or geek squad, tell them to update your mobo correctly and make sure your cpu works and your uemi is setup correctly.