[SOLVED] Why does my PC overlook my graphics card unless I unplug/replace cable during early boot?

Jun 23, 2020
This has always been an issue for me and I am just now getting to the point where it is overwhelmingly frustrating.

Background:
I have an AMD Radeon HD 6670 graphics card installed on my PC (which offers 1x VGA, 1x HDMI, and 1x DVI output). Of course, the motherboard I have installed also has an integrated display option (1x VGA output). I use the HDMI port on the graphics card to connect monitor 1 (an HDTV) and the VGA port on the graphics card to connect monitor 2 (an older HP monitor). This configuration, once I get the PC properly booted, works flawlessly. However, booting to the graphics card is where the issue lies.

The Issue:
I have my PC, in every way I can fathom, set up to detect the graphics card first - resorting to the onboard graphics only in the actual graphics card's absence. When I turn the PC on (and I take no further steps), it does take a brief moment to boot - as if it is indeed searching for a graphics card and failing to find one. After a brief moment, the computer proceeds to boot with its onboard graphics. It does this every time without fail. The problem is obviously that I want it to boot with the graphics card.

The Workaround:
For some reason, I have determined that during its initial booting phase when it seems to be searching for a graphics card, I can unplug and replace the HDMI cable and the PC will instantly notice the graphics card and boot up correctly. The same situation occurs with the VGA cable. All I have to do is unplug and replace a cable to alert the PC to the graphics card's existence and the PC will boot exactly as I desire it to without fail, 100% of the time. This is obviously a pain in the neck though.

Solutions I've Tried:
  • Changing the BIOS settings to first look for PCI
  • Changing the BIOS settings to only enable onboard graphics in the case of no PEG (there is no third option, either enabled always or enable when no PEG)
  • Switching out cables
  • Changing screen resolution settings
  • Changing primary monitor settings
  • Booting with just 1 monitor (I've tried using just the HDMI and just the VGA, neither make a difference)
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling graphics card driver/software
  • Turning off monitors and turning them on in different orders and with different timing during initial boot (i.e. having only the HDMI monitor on at first boot, only the VGA monitor, turning both monitors on during boot, etc.)

Nothing I try works other than my workaround. What am I missing?

Solution
I have uninstalled and reinstalled all the latest drivers for my actual GPU. The only thing I can think of is to go a step further and clear out all the integrated drivers so that the computer makes no mistake and doesn't overlook the real GPU. I can't imagine the GPU being bad. It has had this issue ever since I bought the PC (custom built) and it works perfectly fine with my workaround. In fact, I'm on the PC and using the correct GPU as we speak. It is strictly an issue of my PC choosing the boot the wrong GPU for some reason.
Then for sure uninstall those integrated drivers and see if that solves the issue

Ferimer

Distinguished
This has always been an issue for me and I am just now getting to the point where it is overwhelmingly frustrating.

Background:
I have an AMD Radeon HD 6670 graphics card installed on my PC (which offers 1x VGA, 1x HDMI, and 1x DVI output). Of course, the motherboard I have installed also has an integrated display option (1x VGA output). I use the HDMI port on the graphics card to connect monitor 1 (an HDTV) and the VGA port on the graphics card to connect monitor 2 (an older HP monitor). This configuration, once I get the PC properly booted, works flawlessly. However, booting to the graphics card is where the issue lies.

The Issue:
I have my PC, in every way I can fathom, set up to detect the graphics card first - resorting to the onboard graphics only in the actual graphics card's absence. When I turn the PC on (and I take no further steps), it does take a brief moment to boot - as if it is indeed searching for a graphics card and failing to find one. After a brief moment, the computer proceeds to boot with its onboard graphics. It does this every time without fail. The problem is obviously that I want it to boot with the graphics card.

The Workaround:
For some reason, I have determined that during its initial booting phase when it seems to be searching for a graphics card, I can unplug and replace the HDMI cable and the PC will instantly notice the graphics card and boot up correctly. The same situation occurs with the VGA cable. All I have to do is unplug and replace a cable to alert the PC to the graphics card's existence and the PC will boot exactly as I desire it to without fail, 100% of the time. This is obviously a pain in the neck though.

Solutions I've Tried:
  • Changing the BIOS settings to only enable onboard graphics in the case of no PEG (there is no third option, either enabled always or enable when no PEG)
  • Switching out cables
  • Booting with just 1 monitor (I've tried using just the HDMI and just the VGA, neither make a difference)
  • Turning off monitors and turning them on in different orders and with different timing during initial boot (i.e. having only the HDMI monitor on at first boot, only the VGA monitor, turning both monitors on during boot, etc.)
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/amd-radeon-hd-6670-multiple-monitors.1415782/

Ferimer

Distinguished

Background:

The Issue:

The Workaround:

Solutions I've Tried:
  • Switching out cables
Correct if i'm wrong, but you're trying to use your Integrated graphics card on the MOBO as a dual monitor setup?

Jun 23, 2020
Correct if i'm wrong, but you're trying to use your Integrated graphics card on the MOBO as a dual monitor setup?

No. I'm trying to use my other graphics card for dual monitor setup and it works fine. The issue is that for some reason, my PC ignores my graphics card and boots to the integrated graphics card instead - UNLESS I unplug and replace the cables during boot up. Then it works flawlessly.

Ferimer

Distinguished
No. I'm trying to use my other graphics card for dual monitor setup and it works fine. The issue is that for some reason, my PC ignores my graphics card and boots to the integrated graphics card instead - UNLESS I unplug and replace the cables during boot up. Then it works flawlessly.
check out the link i posted, that may solve your issue. Furthermore you may need to download and run the program called DDU (display Driver uninstall) to wipe away any and all integrated graphic drivers. And adjust settings so that VGA is monitor 1 and that the HDMI is monitor 2. and that might solve your issue

Jun 23, 2020
check out the link i posted, that may solve your issue. Furthermore you may need to download and run the program called DDU (display Driver uninstall) to wipe away any and all integrated graphic drivers. And adjust settings so that VGA is monitor 1 and that the HDMI is monitor 2. and that might solve your issue

I did look at the link, but it doesn't seem to have a solution for me. I have tried, as noted in my original post, changing which monitor is considered monitor 1 and which is considered monitor 2. No difference. I have also tried using only 1 monitor (I've tried just using exclusively the VGA monitor and exclusively the HDMI monitor). Still no change. For this reason, I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that I'm trying to use dual monitors - as the same issue arises when I'm not.

I will try out the DDU software you mentioned. Perhaps that'll do the trick.

Ferimer

Distinguished
I did look at the link, but it doesn't seem to have a solution for me. I have tried, as noted in my original post, changing which monitor is considered monitor 1 and which is considered monitor 2. No difference. I have also tried using only 1 monitor (I've tried just using exclusively the VGA monitor and exclusively the HDMI monitor). Still no change. For this reason, I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that I'm trying to use dual monitors - as the same issue arises when I'm not.

I will try out the DDU software you mentioned. Perhaps that'll do the trick.
Im just confused though, are you using the PLug in from the back of the MOBO and the GPU ?

Jun 23, 2020
Im just confused though, are you using the PLug in from the back of the MOBO and the GPU ?

No. So the motherboard has 1 VGA output. The GPU has a VGA output, an HDMI output, and a DVI output. I'm using the VGA output and the HDMI output on the GPU. There is nothing plugged into the motherboard's VGA port.

Ferimer

Distinguished
No. So the motherboard has 1 VGA output. The GPU has a VGA output, an HDMI output, and a DVI output. I'm using the VGA output and the HDMI output on the GPU. There is nothing plugged into the motherboard's VGA port.
OKay, just your original post made it sound like you were. Just make sure you have all the up to date drivers on your computer for your GPU, then uninstall everything and do a fresh install of your GPU drivers and get rid of the old Integrated Drivers. THen make sure that the VGA is Monitor 1 and HDMI is monitor 2, if that doesnt work and you aren't getting any display you may have a broken down GPU

Jun 23, 2020
OKay, just your original post made it sound like you were. Just make sure you have all the up to date drivers on your computer for your GPU, then uninstall everything and do a fresh install of your GPU drivers and get rid of the old Integrated Drivers. THen make sure that the VGA is Monitor 1 and HDMI is monitor 2, if that doesnt work and you aren't getting any display you may have a broken down GPU
I have uninstalled and reinstalled all the latest drivers for my actual GPU. The only thing I can think of is to go a step further and clear out all the integrated drivers so that the computer makes no mistake and doesn't overlook the real GPU. I can't imagine the GPU being bad. It has had this issue ever since I bought the PC (custom built) and it works perfectly fine with my workaround. In fact, I'm on the PC and using the correct GPU as we speak. It is strictly an issue of my PC choosing the boot the wrong GPU for some reason.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Then for sure uninstall those integrated drivers and see if that solves the issue

Reactions: imjonjordan
Solution