[SOLVED] Why does my PC randomly restart?

Mar 7, 2020
Hi there,

I have had the PC in question for four years.

The PC boots into ANY operating system fine. Sometimes will even work for a good while before it reboots, or even worse, just goes black with no output via the display and hangs. Other times it will restart five minutes after being turned on.

Could this be down to overheating, or is it more likely a hardware issue (vis-a-vis, the black screens)

It is important to emphasize, that this computer has been wiped multiple times and using with Ubuntu, and Linux Mint. It is currently running Windows 10. Regardless, this issue still occurs.

By the by, it is also worth mentioning that I am in no way heavily using this machine. It crashes when browsing, or even going through windows installing software etc. But it will not crash if I just leave it.

I have doubts of it being an overheat issue, as HW monitor has temps at 30C for CPU and slightly higher for GPU (40C ish, idle). I also took the cooler off the CPU to clean it. Furthermore, I tried watching 4k videos on YouTube to see if it would crash, nothing.

Could this issue be a GPU failure? And if so, why is it not crashing when under load. But seemingly randomly?

Any advice would be much appriciated.

Thanks

- Nick

Last edited:
Solution
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Look in Reliability History for errors that correspond with the restarts.

Noted that you cleaned the cooler. Well and good.

However, it may be worth reopening the case to ensure that all dust and debris are cleaned out and that all cards, cables, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Check by physical touching with gentle pressure and wiggling to be certain of the connectivity.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Look in Reliability History for errors that correspond with the restarts.

Noted that you cleaned the cooler. Well and good.

However, it may be worth reopening the case to ensure that all dust and debris are cleaned out and that all cards, cables, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Check by physical touching with gentle pressure and wiggling to be certain of the connectivity.

Solution