octaゼ永あ

Prominent
Dec 26, 2020
I bought my ASRock Phantom Gaming D RX 580 8GB yesterday, and i noticed that the temps are too high, i've seen reviews and the maximum of temperature that this card reaches is like 75c ° (without undervolting), but mine just goes up to 85c ° and it gets thermal throttled, the thing is that i just undervolted it from 1150v to 1050v (nothing gone wrong) but i keep getting 85c °, I can't play AAA games properly if this keeps happening.
I don't know why that happens but i just gonna leave my pc specs below to see if that helps something.
Below is a picture for you to see the temperatures.
RX 580 Thermal Throttling

-ASRock Phantom Gaming D
AMD Radeon RX580 8GB

-AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (AF 12nm) with his stock cooler

-16GB of RAM 3200MHZ (2x8GB)

-Motherboard ASRock B450-M Hdv

-Psu Thermaltake Smart 500w 80plus

P. S: Ambient temperature is 30c ° (It's summer where i live)

Last edited:
Solution
It's actually more common than you think. It's true that the temps will change from one model to another, but it depends on your luck. You could have just been unlucky and ended up with a card that runs hotter than their counterparts as 85C is still considered within normal operating limits. Which is why I suggested simply RMA-ing.

As for how quickly cards can heat up, even my 3080 will jump from 35 to 65ish (65ish being the max I've ever seen) within 5 minutes when playing Modern Warfare.

As for the thermal paste replacement. I do want to remind you that if this is a new card. I suggest RMA-ing as changing the thermal paste will void the warranty.

The Arctic MX4 is one of the most popular ones and also very good. It's also...
Getting to 85C is unusual but no abnormal. They're able to sustain much more than that. The thermal throttling on the hand is weird - specially at that temp.

Have you tried playing with the panels open to see if it changes anything?

Have you akso tried putting the fans to full speed on Afterburner and test it like that?

If the problem still persists you can try changing the thermal paste if you're comfortable with that. I heard that many RX 500 series cards had very bad thermal paste applications. This happened to a friend of mine as well but only one year later. He change the paste and it fixed his issue. Although if the card is new I would Suggest RMA-ing as to not void the warranty.

octaゼ永あ

Prominent
Dec 26, 2020
Getting to 85C is unusual but no abnormal. They're able to sustain much more than that. The thermal throttling on the hand is weird - specially at that temp.

Have you tried playing with the panels open to see if it changes anything?

Have you akso tried putting the fans to full speed on Afterburner and test it like that?

If the problem still persists you can try changing the thermal paste if you're comfortable with that. I heard that many RX 500 series cards had very bad thermal paste applications. This happened to a friend of mine as well but only one year later. He change the paste and it fixed his issue. Although if the card is new I would Suggest RMA-ing as to not void the warranty.
Hi, I tried to use it with the panels open, almost nothing changed.

Also tried to put the fans at 100% in msi afterburner (75c ° around) but it gets hella loud than it already is.

I was thinking of changing the thermal paste, can you recommend me a high quality one? I heard that the arctic ones are pretty good but i don't know which model buy.

(What bothers me is that my RX 580 is undervolted and still has high temperatures, on the other hand, the other Rx 580s of the same brand reach 75c ° on max load. Oh, forgot to say that my graphics card reaches 40c ° while it's idle, it's crazy to think that it can reach from 40c ° to 85c ° that fast, in almost 10 minutes of playing an AAA title)

It's actually more common than you think. It's true that the temps will change from one model to another, but it depends on your luck. You could have just been unlucky and ended up with a card that runs hotter than their counterparts as 85C is still considered within normal operating limits. Which is why I suggested simply RMA-ing.

As for how quickly cards can heat up, even my 3080 will jump from 35 to 65ish (65ish being the max I've ever seen) within 5 minutes when playing Modern Warfare.

As for the thermal paste replacement. I do want to remind you that if this is a new card. I suggest RMA-ing as changing the thermal paste will void the warranty.

The Arctic MX4 is one of the most popular ones and also very good. It's also quite cheap.
If you're looking for top shelf stuff, Noctua NT H1 or the newer NT H2, as well as Thermal Grizzly's Kryonaut are better but much more expensive. There are others but I'm unfamiliar with them.

I also suggest buying Isopropyl Alcohol to wipe off the old thermal paste. This is a non-conductive liquid and safe to use to clean electrical components. But make sure it's Isopropyl. And a high percentage one as well (I think it has to be above 95%). In some countries your can find this at the pharmacy.

Solution
Ambient temp being that high can be an issue. Increase the fan curve. What are your cpu temps like? are they high as well?

Could be the power delivery from your psu. Most likely though its just really hot where you are and youll need to adjust the fan curve to reflect that.

Hi, I tried to use it with the panels open, almost nothing changed.

Also tried to put the fans at 100% in msi afterburner (75c ° around) but it gets hella loud than it already is.

I was thinking of changing the thermal paste, can you recommend me a high quality one? I heard that the arctic ones are pretty good but i don't know which model buy.

(What bothers me is that my RX 580 is undervolted and still has high temperatures, on the other hand, the other Rx 580s of the same brand reach 75c ° on max load. Oh, forgot to say that my graphics card reaches 40c ° while it's idle, it's crazy to think that it can reach from 40c ° to 85c ° that fast, in almost 10 minutes of playing an AAA title)
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is a good paste. When I used it on my CPU replacing the stock one it boosted to 4.2 in Prime95