Question Why does windows randomly stop detecting all my RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2022
My motherboard is an STI 005492 and i have 2 sticks of 2gb RAM each, sometimes however when i turn on my pc, only 2 gb of ram is detected and CPU z still keeps showing 4gb, the only fix i got for it now is turning the pc off and on again which makes it recognize the full 4gb of ram, but doing this all the time is annoying, is there a known fix? (also my BIOS is in its latest version, and it also recognizes the RAM all the time, windows is the picky one)

My motherboard is an STI 005492 and i have 2 sticks of 2gb RAM each, sometimes however when i turn on my pc, only 2 gb of ram is detected and CPU z still keeps showing 4gb, the only fix i got for it now is turning the pc off and on again which makes it recognize the full 4gb of ram, but doing this all the time is annoying, is there a known fix? (also my BIOS is in its latest version, and it also recognizes the RAM all the time, windows is the picky one)
Replace the bios bat....test.

Reactions: rom47394

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bios battery/cmos battery. It's the watch battery down by the gpu slot. Old boards are especially susceptible to that being depleted because of age.

But I don't think that's the issue, because if cmos doesn't load at boot, the boot defaults to searching for all available info. Which is what happens after a manual shutdown or reset. Sounds more like there's an issue with what windows is saving to cmos, it being corrupted on save, which can happen with software conflicts, driver version conflicts etc.

I'd suggest using ccleaner (piriform.com free version) and using the tool to clean out your pc. Also use the registry tool (say Yes! to backup) and resort your registry clean of dead ends, conflicts etc.

Also, use start menu - CMD with Admin privileges,
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
and
SFC /scannow
(be mindful of spacing before the /'s).

That'll start your system out clean, then if the issue persists, you can start looking at other options.

Reactions: rom47394
Status
Not open for further replies.