Question Why doesn my PC randomly go through a cycle of disconnecting and reconnceting to wifi?

Jan 21, 2021
My pc has a problem where sometimes it randomly disconnects from wifi and then reconnects and then connects and proceeds to continue with this cycle quite a few times before finally connecting to wifi and then staying like that for around 3-4 hours. I don't this is a wifi problem as there are 2 other computers in my house which never have or used to have this problem.
My pc is a DELL Inspiron 620.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

How far from the router is the Dell?

What make and model wireless network adapter is installed?

Are you sure that the Dell's wired network adapter is disabled? There should only be one network adapter enabled on the Dell.

Another consideration is that there could be a loose connection that needs to warm up and expand to become tighter and thus maintains connectivity.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some related error codes or warnings if something else is going wrong.

And look in the router's logs (if available and enabled). The router's logs may be capturing something: look for a pattern of entries that match the cycle you describe.

Reactions: Shajin_s2k
Jan 21, 2021
PC specs:
i5-2500
8gb ram 2 sticks of 4gb
MSI gtx 1050ti
1tb hdd and a 500gb hdd both are seagate 7200rpm
I'm not sure what motherboard it currentyl has but it is the same one as the one it came with 10 years ago.

My router is around 4 metres away but in another room.

It is conencted to the router via ethernet cable.
I'm not really too sure on what i'm supposed to be looking for in reliabilty history and event viewer but here are the screenshots
unknown.png
unknown.png

Im not actually sure on how to check my router's logs as well so yeah...

Did you check your W10 power management settings? Open up the Control Panel Device Manager and check the Properties for all of the devices involved in your network and wifi connection. Make sure the Power Management "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is unchecked and disabled.