Question Why is Chrome killing my computer?

Jun 7, 2019
Alright, have quite the annoying issue on my hands here. I have a desktop running Windows 10 64bit with the i4770K processor, r9 280x graphics card, & 32 GB of ram - can give more details if needed. Over the past few days, Chrome has randomly gone from slowing a little, to slowing to a snails pace. I know it's a hog on resources, and this is way beyond that normal drain. If I have a video or anything else going on, Chrome will bring it to a standstill while I am browsing a tab or reading a page on there. Edge, Opera, Firefox, all work just fine, and I can have them all open along with movies going, music, games, whatever... No problem. But opening up chrome kills it all, even if it just 1 tab and nothings loaded on it. In fact, I cannot find anything that slows the computer except Chrome.

I tried uninstalling it twice and reinstalling. Wiping registries, any folders it may have, then reinstalling, no luck. Ran full scans with Malware Bytes and Avast, nothing there. Popped up the new RAM I put in a week ago, didn't see a difference (may try it again for longer period, not sure.) Got rid of extensions and no change there either. Disabled hardware acceleration. Hoping it's just something stupid and easy I am overlooking. I have read a bunch of threads on here, and some people with Chrome issues just end up reinstalling windows, I'd rather not do that.

What other things can I try? I like using chrome during the day for my personal email (using gmail), and firefox for my business stuff (all through a different gmail account).

Thanks for any help!

Jun 7, 2019
Right now all that's left is Honey, Ebates, Adobe PDF, Hangouts, and Grammarly. It did go slow when I first opened and wasn't even logged in, but yes, now I am logged in to chrome, and I have tried incognito a few times and get the same result.

Just opening chrome, and NOT loading anything on the tab, I get 17 instances of it running, right now taking up about 0-0.2% CPU usage, and a steady 467.9 MB of ram. Open one tab - espn chicago - and it goes to 24 instances with roughly same CPU usage and 686.5MB of Ram

In comparison, I have a bunch open in firefox, only 10 instances open, far greater usage in Firefox (7-9% CPu and 2000MB RAM), and firefox has zero problems. Total computer usage right now is 15-25% CPU and 35% memory.

TRENDING THREADS