[SOLVED] Why is I5-10600K more expensive than the i5-11400F?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuicuneSol

Honorable
Jul 5, 2014
Heya,

Looking to do a pretty major upgrade of my PC. I'm looking at CPUs and... something doesn't make sense. Why is I5-10600K more expensive than the i5-11400F? According to a benchmark, the 11400F is more powerful, but is cheaper by a substantial $50. Am I missing something essential here? Why is the older, less powerful model being sold for more?

Solution
I would ban Userbenchamark if I could since there are a lot of people being mislead by that site. That being said, the K is an unlocked version, allows you to overclock the processor and has an iGPU. The F does not allow you to overclock and lacks an iGPU. In simple terms, one is cheaper since it lacks features.

To also add, this is a scheme used by most companies to cause the end user into buying newer tech/components. It's a way to indirectly force customers to the new and phase out the...old.

Lutfij

Titan
I would ban Userbenchamark if I could since there are a lot of people being mislead by that site. That being said, the K is an unlocked version, allows you to overclock the processor and has an iGPU. The F does not allow you to overclock and lacks an iGPU. In simple terms, one is cheaper since it lacks features.

To also add, this is a scheme used by most companies to cause the end user into buying newer tech/components. It's a way to indirectly force customers to the new and phase out the...old.

Solution

jtk2515

Distinguished
I5-10600K Is A pretty good product in this market just for the ability to use the IGPU and be able to play games @720p until GPU prices come down. You can buy a decent Memory kit for around 200$ overclock your memory and ride it out until you can get a 3070 or 3080.

The 10400f is 130$ cheaper where I live and is a awesome value if you have a GPU.

Check some benchmarks out to see if the performance increase is worth it to spend the extra 50$

Last edited:
I would discount user benchmark as junk science.
One factor is that the 10600K includes integrated graphics.
I would pay a bit more to have that.
On newegg, the non F version is only $8 more.
If you ever should have an issue with your discrete graphics card, integrated graphics is a lifesaver.

If you want to compare processors, the best way is to look at benchmarks for YOUR apps or games.
Failing that, passmark is good.
You get a rating for when all threads are 100% busy as well as a single thread performance which is what games depend on most.
Here are links:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=11th+Gen+Intel+Core+i5-11400F+@+2.60GHz&id=4226

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-10600K+@+4.10GHz&id=3735

Both are good chips, but I would go with the 11400 processor and the better single thread performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS