[SOLVED] Why is my adapter from HDMI to DVI D not working?

Jul 22, 2020
So I have a monitor flatron l1960tr and it has dvi d and d sub ports and my graphics card is gtx 1650 palit gaming pro and it only has hdmi ports, so I bought an adapter from HDMI to DVI D and my monitor can not detect it, it just says “check signal cable”. Can someone help me please, my computer is brand new and I do not know what to do.

Solution
What about vga to hdmi, would that work fine with just an adapter, would it need a converter?
Not VGA to HDMI. You'd need HDMI to VGA active adapter. Those are unidirectional (work in one direction only).
Like this one:

Adapter-HDMI-VGA-Active.jpg
Jul 22, 2020
You shouldn't have any issues, hdmi to dvi-d for a 75Hz signal only needs a passive connection for single link.
I know I should not, but I do. My adapter-cable is dual link 4k 30hz and it is hdmi to dvi d, maybe it should be vice versa? Dvi d to hdmi? Because I do not get it, I hope it is the cable that is causing the problem.

I would look into replacing the monitor with one that has the ports you need, bit silly with a new system to be using an old 19" screen when there are many new and used monitors for cheap enough that buying adpaters does not make sense. You can find 22-24" used 1080 displays for about $50 or less, and new ones are in the $100 range. 13 yr old square 19" screen is not a very good match for a new computer, would you buy a new suit and then wear dirty old sneakers with it?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If it's a passive adapter, it won't make a difference, literally all it does is change where the wires go, you'd need an active adapter (active are powered) to have polarity issues if it's backwards.

You could use a simple cable, dvi-d on one end, hdmi on the other.

If that adapter has a USB that's supposed to plug in, it's an active adapter, not passive, and will need to be powered up to pass the signal through and it will need to be directional, hdmi-dvi, not dvi-hdmi.

Reactions: Gatis Kans
Jul 22, 2020
I would look into replacing the monitor with one that has the ports you need, bit silly with a new system to be using an old 19" screen when there are many new and used monitors for cheap enough that buying adpaters does not make sense. You can find 22-24" used 1080 displays for about $50 or less, and new ones are in the $100 range. 13 yr old square 19" screen is not a very good match for a new computer, would you buy a new suit and then wear dirty old sneakers with it?
Yes I understand, but, right now, I seriously can not afford even that, that is why I buy adapters, I do not have a working computer at all right now, that is why I need quick options, anyway the monitor is decent I know that resolution is 1280x1024 not 1080p but it is not 720p either, so I have never had problem with it, therefore, have not had a reason to buy a new one.

Jul 22, 2020
If it's a passive adapter, it won't make a difference, literally all it does is change where the wires go, you'd need an active adapter (active are powered) to have polarity issues if it's backwards.

You could use a simple cable, dvi-d on one end, hdmi on the other.

If that adapter has a USB that's supposed to plug in, it's an active adapter, not passive, and will need to be powered up to pass the signal through and it will need to be directional, hdmi-dvi, not dvi-hdmi.
Yeah, they are passive, there is no difference? Well then, I hope that the adapter-cable is just broken. If other cable will not work aswell. coul I use d sub to hdmi with just an adapter? Or i need a converter aswell? If I need a converter, than I will just buy a new monitor xD

Jul 22, 2020
Cable looks fine. Should work.

Could be your monitor DVI port is broken.
Also could be your graphics card is not giving out signal on HDMI port.
Graphics card is not giving out signal on hdmi port, but
Cable looks fine. Should work.

Could be your monitor DVI port is broken.
Also could be your graphics card is not giving out signal on HDMI port.
Yeah I thought about dvi port being broken, God, I hope not lol. What about vga to hdmi, would that work fine with just an adapter, would it need a converter?