Why is my Chrome exe running in the Background

kzainshah

Reputable
Oct 28, 2019
I know, this sounds familiar, but I have tried everything to prevent Chrome from running in the background. This is weird.

In Windows 11, after turning on the PC for a few seconds, the chrome.exe process starts running in the background and takes up to 60% of the CPU usage. This also causes the Ryzen 7 5700X to heat up to 60% utilization. I know the Chrome settings to turn off background running, so what could be the problem? Is this malware or something? Do I have to format the C drive?

The PC specs are:

• Samsung NVMe PCIe 4th gen SSD
  • GIGABYTE B550 AORUS Elite AX V2 motherboard
  • Gigabyte RTX 3060 Rev. 2 graphics card
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5700X CPU
  • 32GB RAM

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
tried running malwarebytes?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

kzainshah

Reputable
Oct 28, 2019
Does Chrome also use Startup Boost? If so, try turning that off.
Yes I did it's in the chrome setting
what extension do you have

is the 60% usage just for a few minutes?
No extension was installed, I uninstalled the software it from revo uninstaller and the installed it again clean and nothing sign up, but still the same i have attached the image above see it.

kzainshah

Reputable
Oct 28, 2019
tried running malwarebytes?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.
Ok I will try it Malwarebytes, but how do I know what causes it, in clean boot, i have disabled all the startup apps just left along the windows defender and Realtek audio

Colif

Win 11 Master
In Windows 11, after turning on the PC for a few seconds, the chrome.exe process starts running in the background and takes up to 60% of the CPU usage.
does it start if you do a restart of the PC?

just curious if fast startup is on for some stupid reason - it should be off by default in windows 11, especially on an nvme

search for control panel
open power options
click on Choose what the power button does
in next screen, Turn on fast startup (recommended) should be unticked.

if its on, choose Change settings that are currently unavailable
then untick it and save changes.

A pc with fast startup on is never off when shut down, its asleep. When you hit power, its waking up. The only time its actually off is a restart action via power menu.

If it doesn't have that on, and it still starts after a restart, then look in scheduled tasks... as it has to be there. Or its a virus that malwarebytes isn't finding.

kzainshah

Reputable
Oct 28, 2019
does it start if you do a restart of the PC?

just curious if fast startup is on for some stupid reason - it should be off by default in windows 11, especially on an nvme

search for control panel
open power options
click on Choose what the power button does
in next screen, Turn on fast startup (recommended) should be unticked.

if its on, choose Change settings that are currently unavailable
then untick it and save changes.

A pc with fast startup on is never off when shut down, its asleep. When you hit power, its waking up. The only time its actually off is a restart action via power menu.

If it doesn't have that on, and it still starts after a restart, then look in scheduled tasks... as it has to be there. Or its a virus that malwarebytes isn't finding.
You were so much of a help, I have run the Malwarebytes and it did find some malware something like a website outbound name window-service-updates. I have removed it and doesn't happening anymore. I don't think it can come back afterwhile but will see for sure Thanks you all for the help.

Reactions: Colif