[SOLVED] why is my internet always capped on all clients

JuandyPirela

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2015
no matter what client i use (steam, origin, battlenet) my internet is extremely slow. my interenet speeds are usually 800 uplaod 800 download ( I pay for a gig up gig down)

Last edited:
Solution
what this post is about. is that i have good internet but on downloads it lowered A LOT. as you can see from the steam screenshot

Just because your car can go 150 MPH doesn't mean every road around your house will allow you to drive 150 MPH. The bumps to zero are concerning, but just because you have gigabyte internet doesn't mean that every server on the internet is going to allow you to max out your connection in this manner.

DSzymborski

Titan
What are you getting on a site like speedtest?

It's unlikely that you're going to max out in a connection to Steam like this. Has this issue been happening long? It could very easily be something between your ISP and Steam, in which case there's little you can personally do.

The ISP always use the magic word "up to" when they quote speeds. The connection between you and the ISP is shared with your neighbors. In most cases there is likely more than 1gbit of bandwidth total but it is not enough for multiple people to actually run at 1gbit for long periods of time. In addition there maybe other routers or servers that have limitations in the path. Maybe some router only has a 1gbit port or the server you are running the testing on is being used by a lot of people when you test.

It also could be your machine to some extent. If you are not for example using a ssd to download/upload it could limit your speeds. Many consumer hard drives are not as fast as some people think they are. Even SSD if they are near full get performance penalty.

In the end you have to ask yourself does it really matter. Do you really "need" the extra speed. I know my ISP now offers gigabit plans and I have been tempted but when I think about it all that will happen is now my game will download in 3minutes rather than 5minutes on steam but then it still will take another 20minutes allocating and installing and doing all the other crap steam does that take much more time than actually downloading.

JuandyPirela

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2015
The ISP always use the magic word "up to" when they quote speeds. The connection between you and the ISP is shared with your neighbors. In most cases there is likely more than 1gbit of bandwidth total but it is not enough for multiple people to actually run at 1gbit for long periods of time. In addition there maybe other routers or servers that have limitations in the path. Maybe some router only has a 1gbit port or the server you are running the testing on is being used by a lot of people when you test.

It also could be your machine to some extent. If you are not for example using a ssd to download/upload it could limit your speeds. Many consumer hard drives are not as fast as some people think they are. Even SSD if they are near full get performance penalty.

In the end you have to ask yourself does it really matter. Do you really "need" the extra speed. I know my ISP now offers gigabit plans and I have been tempted but when I think about it all that will happen is now my game will download in 3minutes rather than 5minutes on steam but then it still will take another 20minutes allocating and installing and doing all the other crap steam does that take much more time than actually downloading.
its thats its annoying when i want to downlaod things that are a few gigs it takes forever

its thats its annoying when i want to downlaod things that are a few gigs it takes forever
Are you actually serious. 100GByte game will take 14 minutes at 1gbit and 17minutes at 800mbps ignoring overhead. There are only a very small number of games of that size. How many times do you download the same game over and over . For you more average game it will only be seconds of difference for the actual download.

You may never be able to fix this since there are so many things out of your control.

JuandyPirela

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2015
Are you actually serious. 100GByte game will take 14 minutes at 1gbit and 17minutes at 800mbps ignoring overhead. There are only a very small number of games of that size. How many times do you download the same game over and over . For you more average game it will only be seconds of difference for the actual download.

You may never be able to fix this since there are so many things out of your control.
what this post is about. is that i have good internet but on downloads it lowered A LOT. as you can see from the steam screenshot

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
Complains that 300 mbps is slow.

Expecting gig speed from every internet destination is foolish and is a misunderstanding of networking.

You can try some other Steam download locations if there's one that's more along the line of where your ISP egresses traffic.

DSzymborski

Titan

Just because your car can go 150 MPH doesn't mean every road around your house will allow you to drive 150 MPH. The bumps to zero are concerning, but just because you have gigabyte internet doesn't mean that every server on the internet is going to allow you to max out your connection in this manner.

Solution