[SOLVED] Why is my monitor shutting off on it's own?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 12, 2020
My monitor will shut off randomly right after matches. The actual PC will still be running however, and making lot's of noise as if the fans are on full throttle. I have concluded that it is the PC's fault since I have used the monitor on different hardware with no issues. In order for it to boot up again, I have to restart the desktop manually. This only happens with certain demanding games, and never in the middle of games; usually right after the match has ended. The screen will just go black and say "No signal." I think this is due to the motherboard or PSU. However I don't which one to buy first. Any ideas?

Solution
Yep. Sure sounds like it. Which usually means 1 of 2 things and both are related. Lack of airflow. Either there's gunk/dust/dirt/debris accumulated in the heatsink under the shroud, blocking air from reaching the heatsink, or there's little to no air actually reaching the gpu, so it's sitting in a hot-spot that only gets hotter with lengthy heavy loads. Having fanless/eco mode doesn't help as it allows that hot-spot to happen in the first place, meaning the gpu works harder to play 'catch-up' on the temps.

Fanless is great for ppl who never push a gpu hard, but if you never push a gpu you really don't have reason to have needed it in the first place.

With the case side off and fan blowing, you are getting better temps, so I'm...
Apr 12, 2020
Update: The problem seems to be fixed because it hasn't happened for a while. I cleaned out the dust of the GPU and set a custom fan curve. The problem also could have been AMD drivers because it hasn't happened ever since I updated to the new one. The only thing is that the GPU still reaches temperatures of around 85 even while the fan speed is at the max. I would also say that the GPU is well ventilated since there are 3 fans right next to it. And there is nothing in the path of the GPU fans.