[SOLVED] Why is my motherboard limiting my Ethernet connect?

Mar 24, 2020
My motherboard (ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Wi-Fi) is only letting ethernet go to 100mbs and not a gig for some reason i dont know how to fix it ive changing the speed under the control panel but when i do that it just says there is no cable connected. I would say its the cable but i know the cable is either cat6 or 7 and its worked perfect with gig connect on my last motherboard. Also ive uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers from windows and ASUS.

Solution
For a Giga connection, everything inline must also be Giga. Meaning the cables must be able to handle Giga, the port its plugged into must be Giga not 10/100, if you are on a switch or router both the input from the modem and the outward port must be Giga. Even the modem itself and your network provider must be Giga. It's not just your motherboard.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Check with a different cable. For gigabit to work all 8 wires must be in good condition, whether it be Cat 6, 7 or 5e. If one strand of wire isn't right then the NIC will default to megabit 4 wire.

What's the cable connecting to on the other side?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For a Giga connection, everything inline must also be Giga. Meaning the cables must be able to handle Giga, the port its plugged into must be Giga not 10/100, if you are on a switch or router both the input from the modem and the outward port must be Giga. Even the modem itself and your network provider must be Giga. It's not just your motherboard.

Solution